add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions regarding RAM, PSU and MOBO on my 5200 dollar build!

weirdflexbutok
  • 14 months ago

Okay, so these are my final questions before I get the last of my parts tomorrow and start building!

Regarding compatibilities.

1. Do I need to overclock my RAM?

2. Are the PSU and MOBO compatible? I get so confused when people tell me different numbers of "pins"?

3. Also, I have asked this question a lot of times already, but I just need a Yes or No answer, to make my build go easier without worrying about nothing. Are the compatibility issues from PC Part Picker regarding ports an issue? Or is it just generic bullcrap?

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $549.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $145.59 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $294.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $284.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $117.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card -
Case Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case $249.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $124.79 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor $599.99 @ Newegg Business
Monitor ViewSonic - VP3268-4K 31.5" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor $823.86 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3401.05
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $3391.05

EDIT: Delayed deliverance, will recieve them next week. Will post pictures of the build! :)

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I have this case and the 2080ti will fit without any issue and it is beautiful. Unfortunately Corsair thought it would be a good idea to sticky tape the commander Pro to the inside of the case. You can carefully remove it and stick it to the backside if you want. You made some really good choices. Gigabyte has the best VRM for the CPU from what I have read. The bios is less straight forward than an Asus board but shouldn't be a problem. As for an OC for your ram I'd set XMP in advanced CPU core settings and be done with it. Usually with a m.2 drive installed sata ports 5/6 are disabled. Good luck and post your build with pics, there aren't too many with this case.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the reply, I will most certainly save your reply on a notepad document along with the other reply I got and work through it when the monitor and case arrives next week. And of course I will post some pictures, the case is beautiful! :)

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll explain more below, but the short answers are:

1) No.

2) Yes

3) No (not an issue)

1) Technically, any speed over DDR4-2666 is an overclock, because 2666 is the highest standardized speed. You will almost certainly want to set the proper BIOS settings so that the memory runs at its rated speed of 3200 MT/s. However, you don't have to do that. You can install the memory, let it run at whatever speed it runs at, get things working, and deal with the memory speed later.

2) The PSU is large enough to properly drive both the CPU and the GPU, no worries there.

3) The compatibility note isn't generic bullcrap, but you don't have to worry about what it's telling. Basically the note says that when you install one or more m.2 SSD's, SATA or not, you will lose one or more SATA ports. Since there are plenty of SATA ports to start with, and you only plan on adding one SATA device (the hard drive), you don't have a problem. (You will however have to check your motherboard manual to see which SATA port(s) are disabled, so that you don't try to use one of them for the hard drive!)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for the simple to understand reply! I will most certainly follow your guide when building the computer :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube