• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Rybik32 8 days ago

I'm thinking of building a pc that will crunch numbers to generate predictive algorithms. My current processor is a quad-core Intel i5 4770K w/ 16 MB memory. When running the statistical program the processor and memory is operating at around 85% capacity. This slows down other programs. Studies can run for 48+ hours with the current system. Rather than trying to add memory to the existing box, I'd like to upgrade to a new system with an 8-core processor with more memory... Suggestions for selecting a processor for this job? A simple GPU to drive basic screens will be sufficient so on-board graphics should be OK.

Comments Sorted by:

Pierpeach 3 points 8 days ago

Maybe wait for 3rd gen ryzen to see whats in store? if not r7 2700x sounds perfect for you.

Granddy 1 point 8 days ago

There's always something better around the corner.

cheezmeister 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

12 or 16 cores are rumoured, and 6 core Ryzen 3s. If that's true then it's time for me to quit school and go get a job.

Pierpeach 1 point 7 days ago

also 5.5 ghz, insane stuff

Rin_Itoh 2 points 8 days ago

If you have the space this seems perfect for a build using old server hardware. You can get chips that are 6+ cores with HT for very cheap on ebay. You can also sometimes find a board that fits the EATX form factor (or close enough to mount in a standard case). You can also find ECC DDR3 for stupid cheap. It will be a bit more involved than a typical consume build, but I think it will A) be fun B) fit this description way better for the price than the current consumer or HEDT does.

cheezmeister 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Quad Opteron build FTW

(and dual AX1600i)

Rin_Itoh 2 points 8 days ago

It's gonna crunch the ever living s*** out of those numbers lol

but the single cores thou...

cheezmeister 1 Build 1 point 7 days ago

u stay out of this mr. "i like xeons a lot"

Rin_Itoh 1 point 7 days ago

While it would be cool to have a quad opteron build it is unlikely since the general use would be trash. The best bet would be to have a dual socket build with xeons for a good crunching numbers performance and good general use.

Granddy 1 point 7 days ago

I agree.

Maybe those x58 supermicro boards fit that purpose very well though I have no clue which model that works and fits in a normal case.

LeviAMD 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

Opteron rox, amirite?

I'm thinking of building a pc that will crunch numbers to generate predictive algorithms.

8 core processor with more memory

It's almost like ryzen 7 fits on him like a glove.

aud10_fr3ak 3 points 8 days ago

yeah, since a) i7 9700k is worse on multithreaded tasks, and b) 9900k is so much more expensive, besides, you need a better cooler and motherboard for it

2700x will do nicely

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Cost no object? the i9-9900K, or possibly an i7-9700K if your other programs don't go crazy with threads. Best value, I'll jump on the 2700X bandwagon.

I'm assuming that the statistical stuff runs in a single thread, or at most just a few threads. If it's the sort of thing that can grow with available cores, then start thinking Skylake-X or Threadripper as the cost no object option.

BetrayedPredator 2 points 8 days ago

Cost no object? The 1950x or 7980XE then

But yeah the 2700x is ideal, or threadripper if he wants HEDT

Rybik32 submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Awesome, thanks for the info

LeviAMD 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

You mean 16gb? The last person i knew that had 16mb had it around1994 lol