• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Hugaluga 8 days ago

I will be using SD cards pretty frequently with the build I am working on, so having a built-in SD card reader would be great.

Can anyone recommend a good case with a built-in SD Card Reader?

I'm also open to looking at an internal SD Card reader with a case... although I prefer the aesthetics of the case option.

Comments Sorted by:

Root_User 2 points 8 days ago

Can anyone recommend a good case with a built-in SD Card Reader?

Relative to all the cases that there are, there aren't exactly tons with integrated SD Card readers. Is this your number one criteria? (I.e. if you're also particular about aesthetics, physical size, certain compatibilities, etc. I might immediately throw out the idea of an integrated SD card reader in favor of using an external 5.25" bay or even just an external reader, if that'd be all right with you.)

SD cards generally aren't so fast that external options are going to cause performance hiccups, if that's what you're worried about. I'd imagine most internal setups are just going to plug into a USB header on the motherboard, anyways.

Hugaluga submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Yeah... I have been finding that there aren't many options out there.

The only reason I would want one built in is because that I use it frequently to put files on the computer. An external reader works perfectly fine; It's just another object to keep track of when my kids are in my office. :)

If there aren't great options with an SD-card reader, I'd rather just get a good case and keep dealing with an external reader.

I did consider these: DIYPC Silence-BK-Window AeroCool Cylon RGB

I'm just not sure how well they handle heat... or if they're good cases overall. They're a lot less than the Enthoo and Fractal models I've seen recommended in several places.

For what it's worth, the primary purpose of the PC I'm building is video editing.

Junior1210 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

I have the DIYPC Silence (non window version). It does fine with airflow, but you'll want to replace the stock case fans if fan noise is an issue (they do the job but they can be loudish in a quiet room). If the card reader is your main criteria, I'd suggest sticking with the external reader you have and find an otherwise good case, since again the stock one does the job but isn't stellar. You could also find card readers that insert into 5 1/2 drive bays and go that route.

Phreakwars 4 Builds 2 points 8 days ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Case SAMA - Maxcool-W-15LEDLight MicroATX Mid Tower Case $54.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $54.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 02:23 EST-0500

I have one in black that I am building for a customer at the moment. If you like, I could send you some pics. The Sama, also has a 5.25" bay for BluRay and DVD burning. If your primary purpose is video editing, I would think you would want one of those devices as well.

Hugaluga submitter 1 point 8 days ago

That actually looks like a decent case. I wish the black version was still available. :(

I'd just wait for a bit, It will come back on newegg or amazon if the demand is there. White ain't so bad either. I know.. it's "trendy" to go white, and I hate trends. But all things considered, the white version DOES kind of show off the included LED fans better. And Black on White is kinda cool looking so.. uh, yeah... make up your own mind is best course, don't mind my opinion.

Root_User 1 point 8 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i91XV07Vsc0

Hopefully the "non-trendy" version will be available soon.