• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

GanSolo546 8 days ago

I am slowly building a computer and buying the parts as I can afford them. When parts arrive, should I assemble them as they come or wait for all the parts.

Comments Sorted by:

johngerges582 3 points 8 days ago

You should be buying all the parts at the same time. You don't want to put it together and have it not work then find out you waited to long and missed the 30 day return window.

Crazyfool 1 point 8 days ago

test them in case they need to be returned. But you will need certain minimum parts to be able to test. PSU/MB/CPU/Ram at a minimum. Video card as well if no integrated graphics.

You should save your money and just get the parts all together later really.

Jeff_M 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

I recommend buying all at the same time if possible, 2 main reasons:

1. If a part is DOA, you know right away, and don't lose the 30 day return/exchange window with the retailer. If you miss this window, you now have to go through the manufacturer warranty process, which can take significantly longer to get a new part to you.
  2. You don't burn time off a warranty with a part sitting on a shelf.

However, if you've already purchased some things, in order to test the core components for functionality at minimum you need motherboard, cpu, ram, psu. Use the motherboard box as a bench to set the board on, plug stuff in and make sure it works. If your motherboard doesn't have an on-board power button, short the power pins with a screwdriver to turn it on. Plenty of resources online showing how to do this if you're unsure.