• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DR.Cringe 8 days ago

From the looks of things, The 570 seems like a great budget card. I am really likely to overclock it when i get it in my hands. And so, Is it worth overclocking? As in A. can the frequency go far? B. Will the higher frequency actually do anything?

Comments Sorted by:

macetotheface 3 points 8 days ago

Each 570 will overclock different - welcome to the wonders of the silicon lottery. Whether overclocking is worth it is determined by the person. Overclocking will see an increase in FPS typically, but it's no guarantee. I have a 1060 6GB, and haven't bothered to OC due to laziness. More often than not you're only gaining about 5-8% performance. This can be a big difference if you're under say 60 FPS, but if you're limited by your monitor, then it becomes unnecessary. Remember too that newer cards boost fairly close to their limit already.

DR.Cringe submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Do you know if it can achive 1.6ghz, 1.8ghz or even 2ghz?

The card that i have my eyes on is: Asus - Radeon RX 570 4 GB ROG STRIX Video Card

flexo_is_great 3 points 8 days ago

I'm not sure how much you can OC the 570, but in general it seems like GPU OC'es often amount to 10's of Mhz, maybe a ~100-110 Mhz at the high end, almost never 100's of Mhz. Not on the installed HSF anyway.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-2.html

Based on what I am reading here, and the temps the card generates I don't think you're going to get anywhere close to a 300mhz OC, let alone 700mhz. I think historically you'd be hard pressed to find many GPU's that could be OC'ed by 23% with your 1.6 ghz inquiry, let alone the 38% and 53% ratios you're asking about with 1.8 and 2.0 Ghz.

Granddy 1 point 8 days ago

If he cant overclock that high, he might as well undervolt it(I had really good luck with my rx 480 undervolting and dropping 6 degree Celsius) and max out the power limit(to prevent it from dropping mhz)

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 8 days ago

That ain't happening without some serious cooling upgrading and going way beyond safe voltage. A golden one might do around 1.5Ghz with them often maxing out at around 1.4Ghz.

DR.Cringe submitter 1 point 7 days ago

Didn't frontier edition run at around that speed?

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 7 days ago

It ran at 945 Mhz.

mdowd 2 Builds 1 point 7 days ago

I used to have that exact card, and I think I got it from 1300 to 1415, which is apparently a normal overclock to expect from this series of cards (~100mhz). If I remember correctly, the base memory clock is 1750 or something? I know I got to around 1900 on the memory. All of this was achieved without touching voltage or power limit (these didn't help performance, and the card already ran hot as-is). This card has good reviews, but in my experience with it, it ran at 80C at stock with the fans at 100%, and those fans were very loud. It looks like there's a Sapphire 570 around the same price at the moment, it might be worth looking into.

bucketofcrud12 1 Build 1 point 7 days ago

well, I can do 1790mhz on my water-cooled Vega 64. its definitely not within safe voltages though, and my guess is that it'll die sooner or later, hopefully right in time for next gen of cards.