PCPartPicker

• Register

Can I put two Samsung - 970 Evo M.2-2280 Solid State Drives in my motherboard?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Samplebot 8 days ago

I have a ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) motherboard. I currently have one 970 evo (1TB) and it works great. I wanted to add another one (a 2tb version) into the other m2 slot. Are there any problems with this? PC part picker says it should be fine but has this compatibility note on the bottom. "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." I am very new to pc building and have no idea if this would effect me. Any information on any potential problems with getting another 970 on my motherboard would be great. Thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

Jeff_M 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

If all you're adding is that M.2 drive, you will not have any trouble. What that note means is that one of your regular SATA ports on the motherboard is disabled when the M.2 is populated, so if you tried to plug a SATA drive in to that port, it would not work. Refer to the motherboard spec sheet to find out which port would be disabled.

Samplebot submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Thank you Jeff for the reply. I appreciate it. I assume a SATA port is whats populated using a normal HDD? Or perhaps an SSD?

Jeff_M 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

Yes, that is correct, any traditional HDD or SSD drive that would plug in to the SATA ports. Looks like the M.2 only disables 1 of them though, so the other SATA ports will still work.

Thank you!

flexo_is_great 2 points 8 days ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7utejh/are_the_two_m2_connections_on_the_asus_maximus_x/ seems like it would be relevant, top post links to: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/ (I don't think you have to run the SSDs in RAID, you just could) Which in my next build I might consider something like that to run all m2 SSDs. Look Ma, no cables.

I am a bit confused. Does this mean that I can't run two M.2's? or that one of them would be slower because it is bottlenecked? I also noticed he is talking about the 970 pro and not the evo. Not sure if that would effect it at all.

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

You can run 2 NVMe m.2 drives in that motherboard. The m.2 slots are connected to the chipset (I didn't verify that, but it sounds plausible), and so if you have both NVMe drives running flat out, they might be able to swamp the chipset-to-CPU connection. They will run but there might be a slowdown. I defy anyone to actually measure any real effect outside of a disk speed benchmark, or maybe a terabyte database stress test.

Stick 'em in and don't worry about it!

(and yes, SATA is the kind of port that is used for a hard drive connection, or a traditional 2.5" SSD connection.)

Thank you, I think that ill just go ahead and buy it now as long as the speeds won't be effected very much.

I am a bit confused. Does this mean that I can't run two M.2's? or that one of them would be slower because it is bottlenecked?

Both NVMe drives can run at PCI-E x4 (32Gbps) speeds, but the chipset itself is limited to 32Gbps so if you were trying to get the maximum throughput on both NVMe drives at the exact same time that might be an issue.

I think in practice you're probably not going to run into an effective bottleneck enough to worry about it, and the worst case (unless your workload is really that bandwidth dependent) is the drives will still be way faster than nearly any other solution. If you really do need both NVMe drives to run at their maximum speeds 100% of the time then you're looking at a PCI-E addon card to cut out the chipset middele man.

I also noticed he is talking about the 970 pro and not the evo. Not sure if that would effect it at all.

No. The biggest difference in the Pro drives is increased write durability. They can be a smidge faster too, but nothing you'd notice in practical use outside of benchmarks.

Fantastic, thank you for the clarification. Assuming I will only be using the NVMe drives for gaming, I should be fine? Is getting another NVMe for gaming overkill as an SSD would be plenty fast? My current 1tb evo is great but the 2tb version is about $550, a pretty major expense compared to a 2TB ssd evo from samsung.

EDIT: Perhaps I should create a new thread for this question.

As far as gaming and general computing goes, yes, you'd be fine. But you'd also be fine with m2 SATA drives. There's very little difference in performance between the two in loading programs, games, windows and just normal stuff. And I can't tell the difference between my 970 evo and my 850 evo either. NVMe is great if you have a use case for it. The reality is most users aren't doing anything that utilizes NVMe bandwidth is all.

https://hardforum.com/threads/nvme-m-2-ram-drive-raid-sata-iii-ssd-game-load-time-comparisons.1911914/

And sure the drives being tested are a bit dated. But the reality really hasn't changed.

If I were you I'd look at the Samsung m2 860 evo if you want more space for less money and have it perform virtually the same. The Crucial MX500 m2 would be an even cheaper option (people seem to like it), I'm running a 500GB 970 evo, a 1TB 850 evo SATA 2.5", and a cheaper 2TB Micron 1100 2TB SATA 2.5" SSD. The speeds are all similar enough, effectively, that I don't really fret about putting this or that on a specific drive to maximize performance.

Thank you for your feedback Flexo. It has helped me a lot. I am going to consider the 860 evo. It appears to be the same thing but last gen?

Crazyfool 1 point 8 days ago

about the only time you will notice the NVMe speed vs SATA speed is when copying from NVMe drive to NVMe drive. Otherwise you probably would not even notice a difference really.

So I would be wise to get an SSD for gaming?