• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tragiktimes101 2 months ago

I've been hearing rumors that Ryzen 3000 will likely break 5 GHz on their upper mid level chips upon release. Based on the prospective charts I've seen it looks like they are going to really hammer Intel for a couple of years. I've also been hearing about up to 20 Navi CU being attached to some of their chips. If this is true, they could really shake up the APU performance levels again.

On another note, I've also been hearing that Navi will be likely to release this next year with prices that will really make nVidia compete (also seems AMD may try to preemptively take nVidia's naming scheme from them by using 30xx designations - pretty funny, really). I think it was Vega 56 performance at ~$200, RX 580 performance at ~$130 on a totally PCIe powered card. And, Vega 64 +~15% for around $250. If these prices and performance levels hold true we may see a strong battle in the mid-level GPU market this year.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, of course. But, if true this next year could be pretty exciting.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdsTBsH-rI

Comments Sorted by:

Cicero_ 4 Builds 6 points 2 months ago

There are rumors, there are unreliable rumors, and then there are AMD product launch leaks.

I'll be 100% buying into the hype anyway.

Granddy 2 points 2 months ago

r/AyyMD will get their popcorn ready.

ZFGeek 2 points 2 months ago

Oh yeah, totally! Im ready to empty my wallet for AMD.

worstcaster 1 Build 3 points 2 months ago

(In parental tone) "Maybe, but you'll have to be a good little PC builder and wait for the benchmarks."

ZFGeek 2 points 2 months ago

The zen 2 will be an improvement no matter what, so I am going to buy into it when it is avaliable. I might even preorder it considering I've been waiting to upgrade tp ryzen for a year now(i have been too cheap to buy it until now).

Root_User 1 point 2 months ago

Take all of this with a grain of salt, of course.

Yup. We'll just have to wait and see.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Mountain of salt.

I've been hearing rumors that Ryzen 3000 will likely break 5 GHz on their upper mid level chips upon release.

Problem with this is they are using a first generation process without he benefits of refinement, and from the EPYC launch they are not focusing the process at gaining clock speeds they are going for power efficaincy.

And they are running a scenario similar to the WX models where two CCX only have access over the data fabric, but in this case its both chiplets so you could easily find a FX 9590 situation where you have really high clock speeds without performance to back that up.

I've also been hearing about up to 20 Navi CU being attached to some of their chips. If this is true, they could really shake up the APU performance levels again.

There probably isn't room inside a AM4 package for a 20cu Navi core even if they manage half the size of a 20cu Polaris+two chiplets+I/O and memory controller block looking at how large each is from the EPYC release and they are seperate on the data fabric now.

As for Navi I would take it with a grain of salt we all remember Vega.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

The most unbelievable thing about the leaks is 5ghz on 16 cores. I am not saying it couldn't happen but I don't think it is likely. I think we will on average be seeing 4.5ghz on most of the CPUs. But if the core and thread counts are accurate, and given AMD's current line up and the fact we know they have 8 core CCXs for Zen 2, than they will have a huge edge over Intel. I was already planing on buying into the AM4 platform. So these CPUs look like great options for both gamers and content creators.

But hey if the 5ghz rumors are true than a $100 6c/12t could possible be on par with Intel's 8700k.

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Afaik no where has it been mentioned it’s 5GHz on all cores has it? Or at least by original leakers. The 5GHz will very much be like how Intel markets their CPUs and even AMD on the other Ryzen CPUs in that it will be a single core boost with a turbo table that drops the clocks as more cores come online.

But guess with all rumours hard to say.

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Of course take with a pinch of salt as per video posters own comments at start of video.

"Now putting on my mulling hat" I see there being some realistic elements to some of this, namely the architecture configuration, so can envisage with the already released details of Rome that seeing 16 cores on the mainstream from AMD is hardly a stretch. with move to chip lets. What will be interesting, and this is very much single core only I expect, just like how Intel and AMD markets their current products is if the highest end can do 5.0 GHz. It will be a stretch, I suppose in favour of it is how I expect it will only be the most binned chip lets making their way onto those CPU as any that fail the cut have so many more CPU's they can go into. Similarly we are moving to a new process node and architecture.

But still suffice to say, if there is a kernel of truth to these very exciting products and if revealed at CES as rumours indicated, AMD will have a very strong playing hand.

Slightly more so so on the GPU's, but not paid too close attention there anyways

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

I think AMD might have done this anonymously. Even if they don’t quite deliver, it’s still generating a ton of hype and interest towards themselves.

ssjg5rlly 1 point 2 months ago

Vega 56 performance at ~$200?!

worstcaster 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Here is a really good analysis of why it is all hype and rumors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXr7_O1v8-c