add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System failing POST

eklo
  • 14 months ago

[EDIT : FIXED]

It's fixed now, turns out the RAM was not seated properly and was not in contact with the socket.

CPU : Ryzen 5 2400G

Motherboard : MSI B450M PRO-VDH (Micro ATX)

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 8x2 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

PSU : Cooler Master MWE 550W (80+ White 230V)

Case : Chiptronex GX1000 V2

What I did :

Installed 8 standoffs required for the motherboard onto the case > Placed motherboard on the standoffs and secured it into place using the case screws > Installed PSU > Carefully installed CPU into its socket > Removed plastic cooler mounts and installed stock AMD cooler > Installed the RAM in DIMM's 2 and 4 > Wired everything up including the case I/O, USB pins, CPU fan, case fan pins, HD audio and the 24 and 8 pin connections on the motherboard > Installed PSU cable to wall outlet and pressed the power button > Connected the motherboard via HDMI to monitor but no display output > CPU and case fans spinning, bright white LEDs under Ez Debug; CPU and VRAM lights are on (no blinking; static) > The fu*k. Pissed. > Cleared CMOS, reseated RAM, used single stick in DIMM 1, reseated CPU, checked for bent pins etc. To no avail.

Any suggestions to get this to work would be really helpful. I bought all the components off amazon and are brand new from what I can tell.

Images : https://imgur.com/IVYcDBm | https://imgur.com/a/cV4PIcb

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Pull the motherboard out of the case and put it on a static free surface temporarily. Remove all peripherals except the CPU and one stick of RAM. Don't connect any storage devices yet. Connect the monitor to the onboard graphics, plug in the PSU, and try to turn the system on to see what happens. If it works this way, connect one peripheral at a time until the problem returns.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the reply, I still haven't done that step yet (I don't want to disassemble the whole thing until I really have to) since I realised I hadn't installed the motherboard speaker onto the JFP2 header. So after pressing the power button I hear 3 long beeps in succession and then the beeps stop, apparently this indicates a RAM issue? This happens with any combination of RAM in the DIMMS and with no RAM at all so is it possible that the issue lies with the RAM itself? Does this beep error code rule out motherboard/CPU failure and possible shortages by the case?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s a low quality pic but do you have the cpu fan header plugged into the sys fan and not the cpu_fan? That chip has integrated graphics so it should work without a gpu like you have it. But if you happen to have a gpu lying around or that you can borrow maybe plug that in and try?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, no the sys_fan pins are unused, the CPU fan cable is on the cpu_fan header.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

have you tried a different hdmi cable? could be as simple as that? maybe theres somethings wrong with the hdmi out so maybe try vga?

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey thanks it's fixed now, the issue was with the RAM, I'm using a dell workstation monitor btw.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Pesky ram. Was it just not comparable? Good jobbo

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Thanks, no it was compatible since I bought it after consulting the motherboard compatability page but it was actually an error on my part for not seating the RAM properly. Initially I installed the sticks after mounting the motherboard inside the case and I didn't push hard enough because the board was flexing dangerously. So I just re-assembled it and it works now :D

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for replying. It is good to know the issue was fixed and why. Ram can be a real pain especially for first time builders.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

also what monitor are you using?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube