• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

2TekBuilds 1 month ago

I am thinking of building a desk PC. Does anyone have any experience building one? I am open to suggestions. What is the best way of building one? What would I need? (wood, glass, etc.) What about cooling? And, is it even worth it?

Comments Sorted by:

Markal 1 point 1 month ago

not really worth it for cooling to be honest. It looks great and you can get an amazing setup going if done correctly. Leave about 5" for all of your components. Use Glass not plastic. Wood is fine. Make sure you have both intake and exhaust fans placed where they are actually creating air flow over your components and not just through sides of the case.

2TekBuilds submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Would plexiglass work? If not, what type of glass? I may consider doing liquid cooling and having the radiator outside.

BetrayedPredator 3 points 1 month ago

I would recommend just buying a used tempered glass top from a table, etc to use as the top

Since normal glass will scratch and you can't cut tempered glass

So unless you have some money to drop its not recommended to try to go custom glass tops

Siwini 1 point 1 month ago

I think you're right, I'd get the top first, then build the desk.

Good advice. don't use plexiglass because it doesn't look good but is durable. Tempered glass is the way to go.

bucketofcrud12 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

plexiglass is fine. you need it to be strong enough to support monitor, keyboard, mouse, drinks, food, rage-quitting-headphone-throwing, etc. glass would do fine, but you may have to cut the glass. you can use a tile saw for this purpose with a special blade grinder. do be careful with glass. wood is good, since its hugely less conductive than metal. making careful measurements and having a solid plan are musts.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

I have experience in rage quitting headphones throwing. More likely to break the headphones than the glass.

ProbablyProdigy 3 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I second this.

honest advice, try to keep everything internal. if you have a radiator set up do it in a push/pull configuration for maximum airflow. push air out of the case. static pressure fans work the best.