add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer stopped booting up

drwerner04

14 months ago

I built my first custom computer a couple years ago. The computer started to not boot up correctly. It will get to where the 4 colors on the windows logo come together then it will stop and black out. I am running windows 7 professional. I can boot in safe mode and everything works normally. This problem started after a large number of windows updates. I have tried to uninstall the updates but when going through the deletion process, it will prompt me to restart, then it will reinstall the updates I deleted. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

It sounds like it might be a corrupt install. I would try booting into safe mode and moving or copying any files you need. Then toss the Windows 7 disk back in and do a complete wipe of the system. There are ways that you can do a repair on the OS, but these can often take far longer and be more trouble than just wiping it and starting new.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

you can backup any files you want to keep and try reinstalling windows if nothing else helps

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube