PCPartPicker

• Register

Can I use this adapter to broaden my search of cheap DDR3 ram?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Carmageddon1984 3 months ago

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0D4C39109&Description=ddr3&cm_re=ddr3-_-0BD-00KP-000G7-_-Product

My NAS build is based on Asus P8H61-M LE, I had 1 stick of 8gb and 1 stick of 2gb.

However the 8gb stick died :( System does not even start with it inserted... I am looking for alternatives..

Wondering if the above adapter will work and allow me to get some cheaper laptop module, perhaps?

Or any other suggestions?

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 5 points 3 months ago

Pros: it was easy to tell it didnt work

Cons: It didnt work

don't risk it

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

By used DDR3 on eBay or r/hardwareswap for $5-$10 bucks, that’s your best bet.

mark5916 1 point 3 months ago

That would be a bad idea!

First off, it seems like a gamble buying that thing.

Secondly, even if it works you will end up paying more than a DDR3 DIMM 8GB Module.

Because you will pay the price for the adapter - so $11, plus the price of one 8GB SO-DIMM module.

That makes $11+ $53 for the SO-DIMM = $64

If you just buy a normal 8GB DDR3 DIMM module, you will pay only for the module, so $52.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus - P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $52.99 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill - Value Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $51.99 @ Newegg Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $104.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-12 23:49 EST-0500
Granddy 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Op, just pick up used ddr3 ram on ebay or on the used market. Make sure it isn't ECC memory of any kind.

Carmageddon1984 submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Thanks guys, I managed to haggle and got 2x 8GB for 60 bucks used! seems pretty good deal. Now just my cooler is protruding.. the old ram was low profile :( Running only with 1 stick until now I get thermal paste to rotate the cooler 90 degrees with the hope it solves it

[comment deleted]