• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Bryce_ 3 months ago

So my English professor gave us a straight forward final, an Memoir about you and your education. (Since we've read the memoir of Tara Westovers "Educated") and when beginning writing the essay (Memoir) about my education, which i thought it would be simple, turns out when i looked back i have realized it was nothing but pain and sadness. i've described my years when the administration classified me having disabilities, me being bullied, my depressive state and how i have nearly committed suicide because of the stress back at an early age. when writing i realized i couldn't fit my struggles because we had a limit to write. (Which was 5 pages) i requested my professor to allow me to do more and she said no because she had 100 other students to grade as well. Since writing i realized how it helped me looking back all the struggles i've had and it gave me some slight relief just writing my story on paper.
(I wanted to share my story but it would take long describing it here) So i wanted to know what's everyone's struggle with your own education, stress, depression, and how well you did to come this far? And i know this is a very touchy subject, but i hope it helps you as it helped me.

Comments Sorted by:

Enrico411 6 points 3 months ago

Just a suggestion but can't you write about something good that happend? Like your motivation to do what you are doing? Things that give you strength to continue and so on...

Just leave all the negativity behind what happend happend (not easy i know). I just think that writing this and it seems only negative stuff will fuel your depression.

But thats just me. I hope you will succeed and do well ;)

MichelWeber 7 points 3 months ago

I think he should stick with his idea - not every book/story needs to be a Disney story.

Zeromus725 6 points 3 months ago

Disney would disagree.

Bryce_ submitter 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

My strength is from my sister and my football coach, my coach was like a second dad to me since my father works 3 jobs to support us and keep us out of debt. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer just last year. They inspired me to do what I'm doing now. I wrote this to help me relief some of the pain that I still have, (I still have depressive states where I can't just control even if something is positive going on in my life.) writing this essay kinda give me the opportunity to express what happened and for me to let go and move on.

The prompt was about my education and the only side for mine were negatives until senior year of high school.

Hopefully this cleared up everything and I hope you have a good day :)

[comment deleted]
DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Life in general is overrated.

Granddy 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

Feelsbadman

MichelWeber 2 points 3 months ago

For my education I was always behind the curve - or below average. I struggled every step of the way. Reading is a challenge for me - I easily lose interest or easily get distracted - (after school and far into my adult life it has improved) - which makes it a challenge in school. Everyone one knew what was going on in class but me. The only subject I did well in was math. In HS (or was it near the end of grade school??) we had geometry and I excelled at that, and only that class. I even failed one of my HS freshman English classes and had to take it a 2nd time as a sophomore - that was very humiliating. I did go to college for two years at an engineering school focused on computer stuff and did make a career out of writing software.

Bryce_ submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I'm glad everything worked out in the end :)

MichelWeber 2 points 3 months ago

Thanks - It has, but hasn't been easy all along the way.

Memo1010 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Not to brag or make you guys feel bad or anything, but I can't relate. Most depressed I get is when I fail a test (which is rare), or lose on a video game (but not every time, only when its really rough). I kind of feel guilty about it now, oddly enough

MichelWeber 1 point 3 months ago

That's not depression - that's being sad or disappointed. Two very different things.

[comment deleted]