add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

970 EVO Performing Poorly

xInfinite_

14 months ago

Hi guys, so I just ran a UserBenchmark on my newly built PC and all my parts are running as expected except for the ssd. As you can see from my results, the ssd gets a read/write speed of around 1100-1400 mb/s, when it should be getting at least 2000 mb/s for both read and write. I installed Samsung's Magician software and ran a performance benchmark and the results were around 1500 mb/s for read and write. Maybe the issue has to do with the motherboard? BTW it's a B450 Aorus Pro Wifi. The motherboard had an m.2 thermal guard, and as this was my first time building a pc, so I didn't really know how to install it and couldn't really find too much online at the time. I just winged it and placed it over the ssd and screwed both of them into place. If anyone can help me figure why my ssd is under performing and tell me whether or not I installed the thermal guard correctly or if it even makes a difference, please comment. Thanks!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12884392

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Some things I recommend you check:

1) Did you download and install the Samsung NVMe driver? The default Windows NVMe driver is not optimized and Windows won't automatically update this driver. You can download it (version 3.0) from Samsung at https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/ (download link towards bottom of page for "NVMe Driver")

2) I was checking the mobo manual (page 8), and it has 2 M.2 sockets: M2A_SOCKET (which can support PCI-e x4 speed) and M2B_SOCKET (which can support only PCI-e x2 speed). Which socket did you plug the 970 Evo into? Picture of mobo on page 5 shows the label/location of both M.2. sockets. You want to ensure you are using M2A_SOCKET located just below the top PCI-e x16 slot.

3) Recommend you also check the bios for your mobo to confirm if M.2 slot you're using is configured to PCIe x4 speed. I'm not familiar with the B450 bios, but my Asus Z370-E mobo bios was set by default to PCIe x2 speed for the M.2 slot I used (the other defaulted to X4).

I have a different mobo, but I did #1 and #3 above and saw a significant performance increase in synthetic benchmarks.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for your help!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

As for the socket I plugged it into, it was the bottom m.2, gen 3, x2. The top socket isn't the same size as the ssd, so I plugged it into the bottom one which fits perfectly. Will there be a difference in performance?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube