add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading to Windows 10 with a Windows 8 key?

ACVoong
  • 17 months ago

This has crossed my mind for quite some time now. Back then when you were able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free a few years ago, I was stubborn enough to refuse to upgrade.

Fast forward now, I'm still using Windows 8 on my main PC (clearly by now I probably shouldn't..). Out of curiosity but would it be possible or.. legal to upgrade to Windows 10 with a Windows 8 key? Or would I need to buy a new license altogether? (FYI, my Windows 8 is an OEM version with the CD)

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it woudl work. But I advise against it, I personally love windows 8.1, it’s a great hybrid including all the good stuff from 7, some of the nicer things from 10 as well, however without all the Microsoft proprietary junk they try to run in your face, like edge and the Microsoft store.

Other than security, which as 8.1 is still supported, there is no reason to upgrade really.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. I was more curious to see whether it would work or not. I think I'll upgrade when Microsoft announces they'll stop supporting Windows 8. Thanks for your input.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

That would be a good idea.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking into getting a new ryzen cpu and from what i could find online 8.1 is supported, i like 8.1 over 10 and would like to keep it but would i run into any problems?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen has never supported 8 or 8.1 and like 7 even if you can manage to get it working none of the security or performance optimizations are available so you are not only less secure but never achieve the available performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube