add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you have an Alexa in your home?

MichelWeber
  • 15 months ago

Has it made your life better? Easier? How?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 15 points

Isn't it's only purpose to play Despacito when you're sad?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

if i had one it would only be used for that

• 15 months ago
  • 4 points

Nope! Waste of money on something a phone can do!

I might buy a big mouth billy bass with Alexa integration though...

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha ha - that would be funny. But I still wouldn't buy it.

• 15 months ago
  • 4 points

I have one, never used it though

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't have one in my life. I guess for some folks there may be good reasons for it, limited mobility comes to mind, but I just can't make the case for one.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly thought about getting it for my mom for this reason.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

My mom has one. While she still gets around OK,(she's 82), it does make her life easier.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

How does it assist her or make things easier?

I'm thinking that one with limited mobility needs help getting dressed, meals, cleaning, hygiene - can't see how the device can help with those tasks.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Mostly it's about lights, not having to walk into a dark room.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you need to tell it to turn on the lights in a room before walking in? Also sounds like you need to install additional hardware, configure it link it via bluetooth or something. I would think the existing light switch can handle it.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

If i needed one, I wouldn't bother. The wife's voice is disturbing enough

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I have one, but I can’t remember the last time I used it...

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

yes but the family doesn't remember the commands so we only use it for music. I mean I know the commands but I don't really use it as much as one would think. Like play the King's game or navigate through the maze, ask the weather, locations, that's it really.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

My wife just read an article about a parrot the supposedly ordered stuff through Alexa!

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I saw that too lol

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I have one, a 2nd gen Echo. I use it as a bluetooth speaker for my HTPC. It sounds infinitely better than my TV speakers, and I was dragging my feet on buying a soundbar and then someone gifted us one last year. I may eventually get a soundbar anyways though but it has worked decently. The audio was lagging behind the video when I was on Linux, but I installed Windows 10 and the bluetooth audio syncs well.

We also occasionally ask it questions. I'd say it fails about 50% of the time to answer the question. We stream music to it sometimes too.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I think just about anything sounds better than TV speakers.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

That's for sure. I'd almost prefer they just stop shipping speakers in them.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

My wife and I do google home, but my parents have an Alexa and thy use it to control most of the lights and things like that in the house. Its awesome.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I’m actually thinking of getting one myself (when i have my own house after my parents don’t want me under their roof anymore) just to experiment/tinker with the concept of home automation. I actually find the internet of things quite fascinating, but the fact that the whole system is vulnerable to hacking attacks kind of creeps me out a little because once it gets under the control of hackers, they can do all sorts of creepy and just plain scary things with it.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, I got it for my mother for Christmas a year ago. We use it way more than we should because it's a great tool for the kitchen (e.g., substitutions, recipes, etc.) It's also great for music so we don't have to risk burn-in by using Pandora on our OLED TV.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

No and I never will, but my dad has the Google equivalent that I forgot the name of (he won it from some TV show, apparently).

When I was visiting him and saw it I immediately said "This is so sad, Google play Despacito".

Surprisingly, it actually worked. Neither he or my stepmother understood why I was laughing so hard. Perhaps I'm too easily amused.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

not here!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have an Alexa, but I do have 3 Google Homes. I honestly mainly use them as a kitchen timer, for asking what the weather will be, and playing music around the house. For me, the low cost to obtain one pays for itself with the convenience of those three things. I also have them linked to my thermostat so if I am laying in bed I can just yell at it to turn the AC down in the summer instead of getting up. I know I could use it far more than I do, but they're reasonably cheap and useful.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

i just use it for music

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you need to subscribe to a music service first? I know Pandora has a free accnt available - can it use Pandora?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

It uses Amazon's music library.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

not an alexa but a google home hub. love how i can talk to it and it can automatically cast netflix, youtube, etc. to my tv. great for setting reminders and kitchens timers too.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Just dont expect it to answer any question you throw at it, you'll be disappointed. Sometimes I wonderf if the commercials on TV are preprogrammed and not what alexa and google would actually say. One time I tried asking my google a question I heard the TV ad, and it didn't know. Wecike using it for the easter eggs. :D We used to be able to get 'Dr doggy' (the pet food expert on google home) to yell at us for feding our dog our homework!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Never seen the need to get one. Neither have my parents. And since we're military, it wouldn't be great to have something that might be listening in our house for sure. If some info were to leak out...

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube