add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Copy/ Cloning Windows.

Doublebow
  • 14 months ago

So I want to copy / clone windows from my old drive to the other, but when ever I try to do it it just says that It is incompatible because of the sector size or something? according to the software help this is because the partitions sector size is too small or something like that, my current boot drive is at 512 where as the new drive is 4092, so how do I make my new drive into 512? I have tried reformatting but it always fails. I have tried wiping the entire drive and creating a new partition at 512 but that fails and says the "cluster size is too small"

I am completely at a loss, how do I move my windows to a new drive, I really don't want to have to re buy a new windows key and disc.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Around 2010, hard drive companies began migrating away from the legacy sector size of 512 bytes to a larger, more efficient sector size of 4096 bytes, generally referred to as 4K sectors. If the software you are using to clone will not do the trick, you could instead make an image of the drive, and then restore that image to the new drive. That way it is not doing a sector to sector clone, but a restore to the new sector size.

Using Acronis the backup needs to be a disk mode backup using the full partition list.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

What software are you using to clone the drive?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube