• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Zombiehunter99 4 months ago

Hi Everyone, I need someone to help me build a parts list. My budget is about 2000 dollars. I was planning on getting a GTX 1080 TI, but I don't know what model to get and what brand. I was deciding between an Intel i7 9700K or i9 9900K. Which one is better for gaming? Should a get a AMD Ryzen processor instead or go with Intel? Also, I want to have a motherboard that has drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 because I prefer Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 over Windows 10. I don't know what type, brand or model to get that would be compatible with my processor of choice and Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. For this build I want a 2 TB m.2 or NVME SSD. I need 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. I plant on using this computer for playing video games, recording and maybe streaming my game play, watching videos, playing music, doing schoolwork, browsing the internet, and doing some video editing. I want to be able to run all of the latest and past games in 1080P and a solid 60 FPS at the max graphics settings. I plan on getting a 144 HZ or 4K monitor and maybe even a VR headset in the future and I want to be ready. Thank you, hope you can help me and happy holidays.

Comments Sorted by:

Crofter 5 Builds 2 points 4 months ago

This should cover both current and future requirements.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $308.90 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $160.70 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $130.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $297.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC WHITE Video Card $749.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case $87.10 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Monoprice
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - F14 PWM PST CO 74 CFM 140mm Fan $9.87 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - F14 PWM PST CO 74 CFM 140mm Fan $9.87 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1984.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-19 07:54 EST-0500
Crofter 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

I'll have a look at creating a list, but I would seriously not advocate installing win 7 or 8, support for these operating systems is ceasing soon if not in a year or so, so you'll get no security patches or driver updates. Compatibility will be an issue with all coffelake/ryzen generation CPUs and motherboards since they are not officially supported. To summarise it is more pain than its worth not going with windows 10.

mr1994 1 point 4 months ago

agree you can use win 10 ltsb and ani-spy tools to gain some speed

IndividualSOULS 1 point 4 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $179.96 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $235.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $149.99 @ Amazon
Storage Team - T-FORCE DELTA RGB 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card $704.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $98.89 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1964.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-19 11:21 EST-0500
ZedSamCat 1 point 4 months ago

Win 10 is way better in terms of features and security.

Zombiehunter99 submitter 1 point 4 months ago

How is Windows 10 better? I like Windows 7 and 8.1 much better.

Crofter 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Windows 10 has many low level kernel optimisations to improve system responsiveness and as a package uses less system resources comparing stock. Win 7/8 also do not support dx12 which games over last 2 years have started to adopt. Native usb 3+ support is patchy and I have also seen that support for higher resolution monitors 1440p and above is patchy. Some modern motherboards offer basic win 7/8 chipset drivers but the ecosystem is very small. Key is that unless you are running off grid security patches cease in 2020 so you the expose yourself to risk of system compromise. Once MS cease support you are likely to see other software providers drop support as well, this has already started with Adobe products, which will mean you are left without newer features, security flashes and they may even pull an offering thinking Steam client etc. For me if you are spending a lot of cash on a system it feels foolhardy to compromise it with a potentially less than functional overall package coupled with older windows.

I know but when I get to the point where most software does not work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 then I will use Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016. Until that happens I will stick with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as my main operating systems. The motherboard I picked out has drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 10 so I think it is a great choice.

[comment deleted by staff]

cortana, secerity, and it is more current so when the next windows comes out, you could do a free upgrade

I don't use Cortana. What security feature does Windows 10 have that Windows 7 and 8.1 don't have? Most of the new features in Windows 10 I don't even use.

if you want it is ok

DeadlyAxeMaster 1 point 4 months ago

One example: bitlocker was improved a lot. You can find tons of information on the internet.

mr1994 0 points 4 months ago

The GPU on your parts list is out of stock.

Would I have to re-install Windows if I get a new NVME or m.2 SSD? I was planning on cloning my old SATA SSD from my old computer to my new m.2 or NVME SSD on the new computer.

This is the parts List that I have came up with so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/32hNFt I still need to add the SSD and hard drive.

mr1994 1 point 4 months ago

this build has some problems the motherbord need update and the case seem to be incompatible with the cooler i suggest to try win 10 ltsb first

I read the customer answers and question section on the Case's Amazon page and someone used that cooler with the case. What would be a good CPU cooler to go with the i7 9700K CPU? How do I get Windows 10 LTSB? I have a copy of Windows Server 2016, would that work just as well?

DeadlyAxeMaster 1 point 4 months ago

Depends on the copy of Windows you have. If its a full retail copy you can but OEMs are tied to the hardware.

[comment deleted by staff]