add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking the Ryzen 7 2700, ASRock Taichi UEFI Question 4 Noobz, BIOS Update?

CrossFarm

8 months ago

Hey PC Fam,

So I'm getting a little overwhelmed with figuring out what I'm seeing when it comes to BIOS EUFI programs. specifically for my specific motherboard.

I have a ASRock -X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard and a Ryzen 7 2700x Processor.

I have been watching a bit of videos on the question of overclocking. But, since I am a total novice with overclocking and building PCs in general, I am looking for a place to actually learn (for free) exactly what everything means in the BIOS menu. I would like to learn this to an intermediate level before I consider touching a single thing in the EUFI. There are a few tutorials on BIOS programs in general, but I am struggling to find a video that specifically goes into detail of the Specific ASRock EUFI software. The closest i have found comes from the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G96mk2mByQI

As I was watching this video, I came under the impression that you can get overclocking speeds, ASSUMING that you can efficiently keep the CPU cooled. So with the stock fan cooling your CPU you'll get around 3.7 MHz . But if you somehow are keeping your CPU super duper cold, you will essentially get overclocking speeds ( 4.1 MHz+) without touching any settings in the BIOS/EUFI.

1.) Am I understanding this correctly? . It would be very nice if I wouldn't have to really dive into some technical aspect that I'm not entirely comfortable with yet

2.) What are signs that my BIOS/EUFI system is up to date? how do I navigate exactly which drivers to install if it is out of date?

3.) https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS -This is where the drivers for this motherboard are at, and i have no idea what its trying to say or if i will need them. If I am reading these correctly, these only need to be updated if i am using a Raven CPU ? (Im assuming the Ryzen 7 2700x isnt a Raven CPU)

4.) Do you guys have a link that can give me very simplistic descriptions for what most of these important options are used for? I would assume that regardless of which BIOS EUFI you are using, that the specific options are more or less the same.

5.) Do Motherboards come with a manual that goes in detail about how their BIOS/EUFI programs work?

Thanks greatly for any help you guys may be able to give!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD made the Ryzen 2000X series chips kind of pointless to overclock. The 2700X stock will single core boost to 4.3ghz and all core boost to plus minus 4.0ghz. Meaning the only way to make a positive overclock is to have all 8 cores at 4.3ghz and thats a lottery chip. Even a 4.2ghz overclock will technically be a positive overclock but the single core clock will be less than stock. Long story is to just keep the 2700X stock and enjoy the computer.

.1-.2 ghz overclock isnt going to be worth all the extra volts and or heat for a slightly better benchmark score. The Ryzen 7 1000 series were worth overclocking a little more as you can give them a extra 0.6-0.3 ghz overclock. That all depends on if you bought a 1700-1800X.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

ok awesome, thanks a ton that basically answers my question

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, I tried to give you a simple answer. Most ppl I've seen have only gotten that chip to 4.2ghz if you were wondering. I own a 1700X so my answer is based off others.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

ok that seems to be the general consensus on the 2700x - not really worth to overclock. I did however buy a Corsair liquid cooler (single 120mm fan). I figured that having extra cooling couldnt hurt. especially because I'm weary that my case may not circulate amazingly.

Thanks again for the input!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh Also, If i can ask one more question:

Can Graphics Cards themselves be over clocked? If so Should i over clock the graphics card I'm using?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzhrfH

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah GPU's can be overclocked. Just download MSI afterburner and pretty much up the core speed like 10 mhz until it crashes. Then lower the mhz back to you most stable overclock. Do the same thing to the RAM. You can then save your profile and set up a hotkey. I usually have my overclock to a hotkey where i can just turn the overclock on or off when im gaming. I never like my GPU overclocked for normal use but thats just me. Plenty of videos on youtube to point you in the right direction.

The link I sent you seemed decent. I dont agree with his fan profile as i feel like you shouldnt just max out the fan speed. Im more into setting up a fan profile which you can use afterburners default or make your own. I do know that the MSI armor isnt the best overclocker and the cooler isnt the best. So your miles may very. I dont own a RX model and im not sure how much of a boost you will actually see. With GTX 1000 series you'd see +/- 10fps depending in game so I might be the same. Dont expect anything amazing.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know that there is a program that will work on ALL GPUs. From watching the Video you linked.

Is there a program that is very simple like this that can let me experiment with over clocking my CPU and RAM?

I cant seem to find any information on running the ASRock EUFI, I'm not looking to really get amazing results, but i am wanting to get the most out of my CPU and RAM safely as well.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD Ryzen Master if you want to use a program. Personally, its just better in the BIOS. So IMO just learn the BIOS. Its not hard and pretty much impossible to screw things up.

With ryzen its pretty much just set the multiplyer to like 42 and up the volts to around 1.35 vots +/- and then run if stable. If its not then you raise it or lower. You pretty much want the highest overclock with the lowest volts. You'd use AIDA64 or Prime95 to run stress tests. You will still need ryzen master to monitor the temps of your CPU. Other programs like HWmonitor or Realtemp dont work that well with ryzen.

Overclock ram after you fine a stable CPU. If you bought faster ram like 3000 mhz you just want to set the XMP profile in the bios and be done with it. Tinkering with RAM isnt that fun and can be not worth all the investment. So IMO if you wanted faster RAM speeds its just best to buy faster RAM speeds. Ryzen 2000 with X470 should do around 3400-3600 mzh on ram.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome! thanks much for the input!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube