PCPartPicker

• Register

I need a different motherboard at around the same price and overclocking potential.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Benster7703 2 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Benster7703/saved/

So I was going to use the I5-8600k, but then I saw that the I5-9600k was the same price for God knows why, but when I went to add it there was an Incompatibility with the motherboard. This is going to be my first PC build, I know that certain chips are only compatible with certain motherboards, but can someone please help me find a motherboard that is around the same price and will give me decent overclocking potential. My goal for this build is 4k 60fps so if my current budget is holding me back please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

CosmicStorm 1 point 2 months ago

Can you say what the error message is please? Does it say: Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
That means just might need to update the bios so the CPU and mobo can work together Im pretty sure.

Carrier_Taihou 1 point 2 months ago

Have you already purchased everything? There's a few changes I'd suggest to improve performance and looks (looks being subjective)

CPU Cooler - The H5 is quite expensive for what it is. I've replaced it in the list with a ThermalRight Macho Rev. B. It's a great cooler for a good price. Swapped to a good Z390 motherboard for 0 compatibility issues with the 9600K. Swapped to a cheaper set of RAM (same speed and CAS latency) Bumped to a 500GB SSD. Went to a RTX 2080 GPU. If you're buying a 1080ti brand new, you might as well jump to the newest generation of GPU's. Lastly I added a fully modular PSU.

Keeping the I5 you're significantly cheaper than the previous build, enough so that you could upgrade to a new generation i7 and still be around the same original budget. I'd sooner go this route as games are becoming more and more CPU bound.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.79 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $152.82 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $67.98 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $85.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card $698.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1750.34
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1730.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-21 10:48 EST-0500
Benster7703 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thank you so much for this. I was considering using the RTX 2080 because the Gtx 1080 TIs are never in stock. I have not purchased anything and are currently still saving but had no clue i could do so much at my current budget. Thanks for the advice.