add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Switching OS from HDD to SSD

carrotstherabbi
  • 14 months ago

I have recently bought an ssd for my already used computer to download windows onto. I backed up 400 gb from my hdd into an external hard drive and then removed both to boot up using my ssd only. Now that I have windows downloaded, I'm wondering if there is going to be a problem connecting my hdd back. Do the two operating systems conflict? If so, is there a way to extract the data from my hdd?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If you've backed up everything you need, I'd recommend formatting the old HDD to save yourself some minor trouble, but the short answer is it shouldn't be an issue. Plug in both, go into BIOS, make sure the SSD gets first priority for booting and you're off to the races.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube