add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Newly introduced to overclocking, how much should i overclock my i7-8700k? (with specs)

Sphlay

8 months ago

hey guys so i ordered a PC (expected to come in by monday) with an intent of overclocking, at least mildly because i've never done so before. I don't have it yet so i cant post screenshots or any information, im just sort-of asking for GENERAL recommendations/estimates on how high i should overclock both my CPU and GPU, since i'm aware my cooling isn't the greatest i want to ask people that know more about overclocking than i do, to avoid damaging something since ultimately i want to use this computer for gaming over a long period of time, keeping it stable and healthy

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151

CPU Cooling: 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler

(CASE FAN): DUAL ADDRESSABLE DIGITAL RGB 120MM FAN

HDD: 240GB SSD

HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) HDD

MEMORY: 32GB DDR4-2400MHZ MEMORY

MOTHERBOARD: Z370 HD3 ATX USB 3.1 SATA3 1 M.2 CROSSFIRE

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Power Supply

VIDEO: GeForce® RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready]

Again, very very very newly introduced to overclocking and how it works, wouldn't want to risk anything myself with such little knowledge so i just want to know, with this config, how much i should be expecting to (SAFELY) overclock the cpu AND gpu once the pc comes in. Thank you!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to keep it stable and healthy over a long time just keep it stock.

Thats just my 2 cents ;)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooler and motherboard are going to be the limiting factors so you really can't screw it up. Just don't go over 1.4V although the CPU cooler is going to hold you back long before that and under stress testing that isn't prime95(it makes the CPU unrealistically hot) just make sure the CPU doesn't go over 90C or so, it can handle more than that but you will want some padding. You will not damage it if you follow those two things and just stress test it to make sure its stable.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

How much clock speeds should i be expecting to be able to boost it up to before instability?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You should aim for nothing less than a 4.7ghz overclock. Anything less is technically worst than stock for programs that would only use 1-2 cores.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

any information you could give about safe voltages and what i should know before raising mine? again, completely new to this and all i know is that you need to raise voltages in order to overclock, but i obviously want some information regarding the matter before doing something risky

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What jimmyboyusa just sent you looks pretty good. You probably can find some other guides through reddit or youtube as well.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube