add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build, 126c CPU temp?

bebeb

14 months ago

Hi all.

I've just finished putting together this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DZrKgw

It boots to BIOS just fine, but it immediately shows a CPU overheat warning. The BIOS shows the CPU temperature at a constant 126c. The BIOS doesn't seem to recognise the cooler, and shows a fan speed of 0.

I'm sure I mounted the cooler properly, and I've definitely plugged in the SATA power, USB and fan cables. The lights on the pump unit come on, and the fans spin. I'm using the thermal paste that came pre-applied to the cooler.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? Even if the the cooler isn't working, or if there's an issue with the thermal paste, I wouldn't think the CPU should leap straight to 126C, and if it did, surely the CPU would shut down, right? Could the motherboard be misreading the temperature somehow?

Thanks

EDIT: Coretemp gives me temperatures around 25c idle, so I'm guessing the motherboard is reading things wrong

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Recommend contacting the mobo maker to ask for their feedback on what could be going on, since Coretemp is reading 25c while the bios is reporting 126c.

If you're comfortable with the procedure, it may be worth reflashing the BIOs. Do you have the most current version already?

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah as others mentioned flash the bios on the motherboard, and dont worry about that fan speed thing it happens sometimes with AIOs when they aren't plugged directly into the cpu fan header.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately flashing the bios has made no difference, so I'll be contacting MSI after christmas.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube