add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 2600 overclocking?

brandonba

7 months ago

with the Ryzen 5 2600 turbos to 4ghz is overclocking really needed?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking is rarely 'needed' for anything, so unless you are getting poor performance on a specific program and you think it's because of the CPU and not something else, I don't bother overclocking.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s really up to you. Yeah, I personally think overclocking is needed as its always free performance. Plus, it’s fun to do IMO. Will you notice a huge difference between a stock 2600 vs a 2600OC? You probably won’t notice a difference other than some benchmarks or having a FPS counter turned on all the time. AMD Ryzen CPU's have a pretty poor performance in overclocking. The days of getting a full ghz over a stock CPU seem to be gone. You should expect 4.2 ghz overclock. Basically saving you $50 instead of buying a 2600X. You will need a slightly better CPU cooler to go along with the higher temps. So, really you are saving like $20+/- vs the 2600X. The 2600X has like no headroom for overclocking if you were wondering.

The Ryzen 2600X has a base clock of 3.6ghz and a single core boost of 4.2ghz. An all core boost of 3.9-4.0 ghz depending on temperature. The max overclock of the 2600X is roughly around 4.2ghz on all cores.

The Ryzen 2600 has a base clock of 3.4ghz and a single core boost of 3.9ghz. An all core boost of 3.6-3.7 ghz depending on temperature. The max overclock of the 2600 is roughly around 4.2 ghz on all cores. This basically means you are getting a 0.5 ghz or 500 mhz overclock and 12.6% performance increase theoretically.

Both chips overclocked the 2600 is a better buy but you should expect higher volts to achieve that overclock. Stock settings with a solid 4.0ghz on all cores the 2600X and a better guarantee that you can hit a 4.2 ghz overclock.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 2600 does NOT turbo to 4ghz.

Stock speeds are 3.65~3.75 ghz ALL Cores turbo depending on temps.

3.9ghz turbo is only for 4 core workloads.

So yeah, 4ghz is rather beneficial since all core turbo is kinda low.

If you want the Ryzen 2600 to be on par with the intel i5-8400/8500, you need to OC to 4.05ghz at least.

I myself have overclocked my Ryzen 2600 to 4.1ghz using 1.35v: https://i.imgur.com/9lJmpoI.png

Currrently using a cheap wraith silent cooler from the athlon/FX era that I bought for $15 used. Doesn't take much cpu cooling for 4ghz. But ideally you buy a decent cooler at least like an Arctic freezer 33 esports ONE for much cooler temps and future upgrades.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube