add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intels version of AMD's Chipsets?

Ranceattack

7 months ago

Was trying to figure out an intel build earlier and I realized I don't know what Intel's chipsets are like. I know that AMD's B450 and X470 are the budget/high-end motherboard chipset, more or less. What would be Intel's equivalent in the current gen?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Intels is pretty screwed up right now. Technically its Z390 as the highend board for a i9-9900k, i7-9700k and i5-9600k but they dont have anything for a budget build yet. Yes, the B360, H310 and H370 will work but will need a bios update to work with a 9000 series chip. Then again i dont see why youd ever buy a cheap motherboard with the current 9000 chips anyways. You can also pair a 9000 chip with a X370 but that will also need a bios update. Anything with a Z can overclock a 9000K chip.

Since you never mentioned a 8000 series chip. All those CPUS can be paired with any of the motherboards i mentioned with the same situation with K chips should be paired with a Z motherboard if you want to overclock.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably should've mentioned what I was trying to work with, shouldn't I lol

But yeah was trying to figure out a budget Intel build when I realized I didn't know what the I3-8100 would be best suited for.

Sounds lame that you have to get a specific type of Mobo to OC for Intel though.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it is kind of lame but AMD is similar. You need a B450/350 or X370/470 to overclock but a A320 board will not overclock. Also notice that AMD is kind of copying intel on the board names. I even just screwed up writing this out. Orignally put in the Z370/470 and just noticed it before the post.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think they have an equivalent or comparable chipset to the B450. I don't think they can OC with anything less than the Z370/Z390 series? I think the Z370 and Z390 are 'equivalent' to AMD's X470 chipset.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube