add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

computer keeps randomly restarting

Jaayem
  • 14 months ago

Please help as I'm on the verge of just getting rid of this thing.

I recently built this pc a month ago during black Friday and here are the specs:

CPU: i7-8700K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2x8 DDR4-3000

Storage: Western Digital 3TB
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti SC
Case: Corsair 200R

PSU: Corsair RMx 650

During the first few weeks whenever I turned it on, it would just keep turning on and turning off repeatedly and I would wait it out until it finally fully turned on.

Later on when I tried turning it on, it would still keep doing the same thing except now I couldn't wait it out until it fully turned on, so I then removed one of the ram sticks in order for it to turn on, then I had to shut it down and reinsert it again and it worked fine.

Jump to a few days prior to now, my computer randomly restarted?/shut down? when I was playing a game of Battlefield 1 and my screen went completely blank and nothing was loading up, but my computer was still on and I attempted to push keys on my keyboard and move my mouse in attempt for it load back up or anything, but nothing worked, so I once again had to remove and reinsert one of the ram sticks

Then finally later on, the same thing happened but now, it wasnt just a weird shutdown, it was just an abrupt restart now.

I thought one of the Ram/DIMM slots were broken so I tried removing one of them and just kept casually using my computer normally, and yet just as I expected, my computer still randomly restarted.

Also earlier on I overclocked my cpu to 4.4ghz and my ram to 3000mhz with the xmp and oc genie options, and I thought they were possibly being overheated which was causing the restarts, so i disabled xmp and oc genie on both, but yet still i got random restarts.

I've already updated my BIOS and I dont know what else to do. Any help would be really appreciated. I spent a lot on this and I dont want all of it to just go to waste like this. I've seen solutions such as not possibly installing windows 10 fully/correctly, not installing drivers correctly and other things but Im just not sure what exactly it is and its frustrating me

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you tried checking your ram with memtest?

https://www.memtest86.com/

or

https://www.memtest.org/

You can also try checking all your hardware with AIDA64. Download trial version of extreme or engineer)

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Just checking..... you didnt overtighten the screws on the cpu cooler. Screws should be tighten until they stop.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Check that all of your PSU cabling is correct and fully plugged in. Check the motherboard to on-off switch connections. Maybe try jumpering the computer ON at the motherboard to make sure it's not a flaky power switch. You might have a bad PSU, PSU cable, or motherboard; if it's a cracked trace or solder joint on the mobo, removing/replacing the RAM could be working it enough to make or break the connection.

If you're lucky it's a not fully plugged in cable, or bad power switch. If you aren't lucky it's a bad PSU or motherboard. Bad RAM is possible but seems kind of unlikely to me with these symptoms.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube