add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving over my SSD to new computer

Nottuh
  • 17 months ago

Hi everyone

I'm going to be doing a major upgrade to my computer and changing the CPU, mobo, RAM and GPU. I've not long gotten a new SSD and installed windows 10 and everything on it. Will simply shifting my SSD with windows 10 over to my new set up throw up some problems? Would it just be best to format and start fresh? Will this bring up any licence issues with windows since I've basically made a completely new PC?

Thanks

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

... Will this bring up any licence issues with windows ...

If full retail version, no issue transferring license.

If OEM,
Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

You can check for yourself by reading your own MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS in your current system.

To check/identify Windows version,

Open the Command Prompt in your current system,
Type in: slmgr -dli
Then press the Enter key.

A window should pop up,
The Description section will state display whether it is OEM, Retail...

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got the retail version and I've reinstalled it before onto this PC after a HDD fail and didn't have any problems. I know there is a link to my hotmail account but i was just wondering if there was any link to anything like a mobo serial number or something of the sort?

If not then hopefully you right and i can just reinstall regardless of what components i change.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Slightly off topic but I was trading out an SSD in my desktop the other day and throwing it in a friends aging laptop. To my surprise it booted right up and installed a few drivers. No issues but this was a inactivated copy of 10 pro.

I toyed around with it for a while and didn’t see any performance issues but decided to download the correct version for her laptop as she had 7 Home 64 bit. I installed 10 Home 64 bit and gave the 7 OEM key and it took it just like back in the free upgrade days. I also installed a new kit of ram taking it to 8gb and this old i3 Toshiba runs like brand new money.

My desktop got a new 500gb SSD and a fresh install of Archlabs with i3-gaps...it’s days of windows are likely over other than maybe in a VM.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did something similar once where i took the HDD out of an old broken laptop to recover some info off it. It took a while for it to go through updates and work out what it was now working with but it work in the end. I wasn't as fast as normal though so i was thinking there was some conflicts between what it used to run and what it was now working on.

Either way i think it might just be safer to do a fresh install after i've changed the major components.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube