add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build - not powering up - ASRock B450M with NZXT 500 case

k97jw04
  • 14 months ago

First build. I'm unable to get the PC to power up. I did the paper clip test and confirmed that the PSU is working.

From the PSU, I have both the 24 pin power connector and the ATX 12V power connector plugged into the motherboard. I also have a SATA cable from the PSU to the SSD and from the SSD to the MoBo

I think the problem could be with one of the NZXT connections. From the NZXT 500 case, I have 4 front panel connectors - POWER SW, HDD LED, -P LED, +P LED. There are 9 pins on the bottom-right of the MoBo. 4 on top and 5 below.

Top row:
I have +P LED in the top left with -P LED one slot to the right.
POWER SW is in the 2 pins to the right of +P LED -P LED

Bottom row: HDD LED is in the 2 pins below +P and -P The 2 pins below POWER SW are empty as the manual indicates this is for RESET And the 9th pin, in the bottom right is empty

I also have the HDD Audio and the USB 3.0 plugged into the correct spots on the MoBo.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Top row: I have +P LED in the top left with -P LED one slot to the right. POWER SW is in the 2 pins to the right of +P LED -P LED

Bottom row: HDD LED is in the 2 pins below +P and -P The 2 pins below POWER SW are empty as the manual indicates this is for RESET And the 9th pin, in the bottom right is empty

I'm not sure what your motherboard is nor your part list but checking the title here so going to base it this way. Sounds like one of the front panel connections are mixed up. Or maybe a cable is not fully connected like the ATX 8-pin but also make sure the ATX 24-pin fully connected too.

This is what I know normally for most motherboard front panels.

Starting from the very Top-Left of the Front Panel pins:

1) Power LED + and Power LED - (usually a 1+1 pin but can be a 2-pin).

2) Now next to the Power LED + and Power LED - is your Power Switch (a 2-pin). This is what helps trigger to ON the computer if everything is connected properly.

Starting from the Bottom-Left of the Front Panel pins:

3) Hard Drive Activity LED or also called Hard Drive Disk LED +- (a 2-pin)

4) Reset Switch -+ (a 2-pin)

So visualize yours this way. I'm only basing on what front panel connectors from what you mentioned but I saw no mention of a RESET SW. I know some cases don't come with a Reset Switch which is OK but I'll mention where it should be. And I'll do my best to make sense connectors to the motherboard's front panel pins (I may be off with the front panel connectors from the case so I'll guess on what they are).

• Starting Top-Left: Power LED + & Power LED - to [PLED + & PLED -]. And POWER SW to [PWRBTN].
  • Starting Bottom-Left: HDD LED +- to [HDLED+ -]. And RESET SW to [RESET].
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube