add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Completely deleting EVERYTHING from SSD

aieieieiie

13 months ago

Trying to completely wipe my ssd from my old laptop so i can put it in my new desktop so I install a new windows 10 on it without any files left over at all but everything I try wont work.. Everytime i try something from google or even from windows settings an error saying that my reset was not completed and nothing was changed pops up.....

Thanks for the help and never knew something that seems so simple could be so annoying

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What have you already attempted?

Have you tried using Windows' partition editor to delete existing partitions? Have you also tried other options, such as PartedMagic?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried using disk management, reset pc through windows settings, apps recommended by websites, etc. Also i believe partedmagic is paid so no i have not tried it

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you don't have any important data remaining on the SSD, you should just be able to install it in your new desktop and install Windows. You can perform the installation without retaining existing user data.

If Windows is giving you a hard time (assuming it's not due to a hardware issue with the drive), you could install just about any Linux distribution of your choice onto a flash drive, boot a system up with your SSD installed, and try deleting existing partitions again.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

But since windows is already on it wont it just run normally? How would I get it to reinstall windows?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Boot from your installation media, not from the SSD where you're trying to install Windows.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What SSD make/model do you have?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

all i know that it is a kingston 250gb ssd

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks ... and what method will you be using to reinstall Windows 10 (are you installing from USB flash)?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i reinstalling through usb

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried booting to the Win 10 USB and then installing Windows 10 from the USB ... and from within Windows Setup either:

1) deleting the SSD partitions (on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen)?

2) or just formatting the SSD partition (on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen)?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have tried neither of those because windows 10 is already on the ssd and I assume that the pc will not prompt to install windows if a ssd or hdd already has one.

Is this true or no?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube