add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 3000 series, up to 16-Cores and a boost clock of 5.0 GHz?

Pawacorn

7 months ago

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

not holding my breath on 5GHz

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, these crazy rumours are getting out of hand.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

I'd be more inclined to expect a clock speed regression with this new generation, however, IPC gains should offset that and at worst case make for a wash, and best case give some useful uplift.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If that were the case, do you think that overclocking potential would be the same as we've got on Ryzen now? Or, do you expect XFR to largely reduce overclocking to a moot point on some CPU's?

I am really interested in this next lineup since I kind of what to get away from my 1400.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I expect to see a similar circumstance to current, where overclocking is pointless. Just buy the X model for an extra $30-50 and enjoy as-good-as-it-is-going-to-get performance.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay - Zen is good, but not that good. I would kinda-not-very-much-but-still-sort-of believe it if it was single-core peak with extensive cooling, but there's no way it'll run like that with the stock cooler.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

No, believe in jacked up prices if the chips are even close to 5 GHz....especially, in Canada, where you end up getting hosed even on AMD hardware.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Everything does look realisic, except when you start to look at the 12/24 and 16/32 chips. So far every ryzen has been a Ryzen 7 and the ones that didnt peform that well were just limited down to a Ryzen 5 and so on. So why are the base/boost speeds of a Ryzen 9 so much higher than say a Ryzen 3 3300X? No way that chip is just utter crap and a Ryzen 9 3850X could possibly run 5.1 ghz boost.

IMO they just need slightly higher clock speeds with Ryzen 7/6 and that will be a solid performer. You dont need to destoy Ryzen 1 and Ryzen 1+ just yet. They already perform pretty close to Intel for content creation. They just need to up the frequency to get those higher frames for games.

If these rumors are true then WOW!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

as to the 3850x its esentialy a 8086k

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

AMD did 5ghz first.

But the experience with that 5ghz 8-core is also why very few believe when a rumor says 5ghz since we all know how that turned out, and there have been rumors of each Ryzen generation hitting "5ghz on air".

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

And now you see why nobody believes AMD is going to hit 5ghz.

Fool me once but never again.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Old rumors, this has been out for a while. I do believe it’s possible to hit the 5 GHz, as we are allready looking at 30% IPC improvements, however if they actually did that it would be on almost all chips as both zen, zen +, and I’m assuming zen 2 all use the same CCX design where every chip uses the same base design, and the lower binned ones become Ryzen 3/low 5s.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but it is getting close to the last point to place your bets. I think it is next Thursday? (sometime during CES) that AMD will announce what they are doing.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it's highly likely that they will at least lay out a roadmap, raise the hype a little, provide some disappointing news that zen 2 won't hit 5 Ghz but still will make a solid generational jump, and then move on to a release of a few months later.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This Wed the 9th at 9am for keynote (possible unveiling of Ryzen 3).

https://www.amd.com/en/events/ces

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Yawn, even if true, I am not interested. Wont make a darn difference to my gaming, none zero nada....

This is all getting silly now. How many "insert expletive" cores do I need anyway? A 4 core i7 or 4 core Ryzen was a fantastic gaming chip, a little weak for highly threaded multicore workloads, but a good all round processor. 8c/16t Ryzen chips come out, make very little difference to gaming fps but produce a nice dent into the multicore workloads. Now 12c and 16c chips for mainstream? AMD making the same mistake as Intel, rendering their professional / workstation chips absolutely invalid. Find me stock of the i7-7820X 8c/16t? Oops, discontinued because i9-9900K made it redundant. The i9-7900X will soon be made redundant as well when Intel get their 10core mainstream out to rival AMD. AMD with their 16c effictively made the Threadripper 16c redundant.

In the console days we had bit wars (which ultimately were pointless since the 32bit Playstation was way better than the 64bit Nintendo 64). Now in the CPU world we are having core wars! It would not surprise me in the least if for gaming, 6 core and 8 core prove the optimum. I stand corrected but lets see how this plays out.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree. True I do not see gaming companies really jumping on the 'Core' bandwagon and using 8 ,12 etc Cores. 4 cores are getting to show the age so 6-8 cores are fine for 'future proof' (dislike that word). For gaming itself (not streaming etc etc just gaming) who needs/uses/what uses 12+ Cores.

Just go with the flow of tech :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe I believe I believe LORD HELP ME MY UNBELIEF!!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube