add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st PC build - Graphics Issue

mikefathers
  • 13 months ago

Hi all!

I built my first computer a few years ago and everything went surprisingly well… or so I thought. There has always been a problem with the graphics card which is a Radeon R9 280x Twin Frozr. I had one RMA’d and the replacement has also developed the same problems. I can turn the PC on but eventually the screen tears and goes to a light blue screen. This can happen after just a few minutes or many hours and also happens whilst doing simple tasks and web browsing.

I have tried many fixes. These include reinstalling the drivers using DDU, updating the video card BIOS, reseating the card, cleaning the card, updating PC BIOS, updating Windows.

Whilst I consider myself fairly competent at dealing with computers, I sometimes struggle when things get too technical. My build is as follows:

Intel Core i3 4160 MSI Z87i Gaming AC Mini ITX Corsair Vengence 8gb DDR3 1600 (2x4gb) Crucial MX100 128gb SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Corsair CX500W Semi Modular PSU Thermal take Core v1 Case

MSI Radeon R9 280X 3gb Twin Frozr

I used PC part picker to select the parts in the hope that it would flag up any compatibility issues. Maybe something isn’t quite right? I have also noticed that the Ethernet socket doesn’t show up in the hardware list, but shows in the BIOS? Could this mean a motherboard problem?

As a side note, I am wondering if I should bother upgrading this PC or buy something new as I am at my wits end with it. Is it worth upgrading or are there more cost effective alternatives? I am looking for something small to sit under the TV. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I built my first computer a few years ago and everything went surprisingly well… or so I thought. There has always been a problem with the graphics card which is a Radeon R9 280x Twin Frozr. I had one RMA’d and the replacement has also developed the same problems. I can turn the PC on but eventually the screen tears and goes to a light blue screen. This can happen after just a few minutes or many hours and also happens whilst doing simple tasks and web browsing.

I know you been at this for a while and been trying to resolve the issue majorly. Do you see an error message when the blue screen shows up or you're saying it's a BSOD? Or are you saying it only screen tears and shows a blue screen only?

I have tried many fixes. These include reinstalling the drivers using DDU, updating the video card BIOS, reseating the card, cleaning the card, updating PC BIOS, updating Windows.

Was there a time with a certain graphics driver version that wasn't causing this much problems? As in a previous Radeon graphics driver worked before until this blue screen kept coming up? Or have you tried adjusting the GPU's voltages? Either a little increase (or decrease).

I used PC part picker to select the parts in the hope that it would flag up any compatibility issues. Maybe something isn’t quite right?

I highly doubt it's a compatibility issues with the parts. More like updates could have not updated properly if Microsoft does it automatically or they just don't work. A degrading GPU or something else could be a problem like the motherboard or PSU. Though not sure if you have spare parts to swap and test enough to see what could be triggering it unless you confirmed the GPU alone was taken out and you see no blue screen anymore after many hours.

I have also noticed that the Ethernet socket doesn’t show up in the hardware list, but shows in the BIOS? Could this mean a motherboard problem?

Have you tried updating your motherboard's drivers manually? I don't know what OS you are using but if you go to your motherboard's manufacturer web page and select what OS you have from the drop down box. Look for LAN Drivers -> Killer Network Driver which comes with a WiFi Killer Network Driver Manager or there's the Killer Network Driver (only) which means only for the Ethernet.

As a side note, I am wondering if I should bother upgrading this PC or buy something new as I am at my wits end with it. Is it worth upgrading or are there more cost effective alternatives? I am looking for something small to sit under the TV. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I cannot say for sure unless you want to keep trying to fix your current PC. I don't know what your budget is either. You could always re-purpose what still works which would be your storage, case, and peripherals if that works out for you. If your OS was a retail Windows 10 then should be able to relocate the product key from the previous motherboard to the new motherboard.

A few ideas that you could do for a new ITX platform which all do fit into your Thermaltake Core V1 case:

AMD's Ryzen 3 2200G (intergrated graphics is Radeon Vega 8 - very close to a GT 1030)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $99.47 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $122.00 @ Amazon
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $341.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-06 11:29 EST-0500

AMD's Ryzen 5 2400G (intergrated graphics is Radeon Vega 11 - very close to an RX 550)

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $122.00 @ Amazon
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.89 @ OutletPC
Total $401.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-06 11:38 EST-0500

Intel's i3-8100 + GTX 1050 Ti (1080p Gaming - Medium/High/Ultra graphics)

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $118.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B360I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $93.91 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - NT Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $52.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X 4G Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $495.67
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $485.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-06 11:34 EST-0500
  • 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi, thanks for your in depth reply.

The computer doesn’t show any error messages at all. Just a quick tear of the screen and then a plain light blue coloured screen.

There has never been a time that this wouldn’t happen whilst using the graphics card. The only thing that changes is the length of time it takes to freeze. I have never tried to over clock or under clock.

I can use the computer with no issues whatsoever if I unplug the graphics card and just use the integrated graphics.

I believe that I have tried updating the motherboards drivers in the past and this did not help. The LAN issue has also been driving me mad. I magically worked on one occasion, but then didn’t work again after I reinstalled windows in the hope of fixing the graphics problem!

I am using Windows 10 pro if that helps with anything. Also, I have posted this on another forum and they have suggested that the PSU may not be powerful enough to support my system? Would you agree with this? I have noticed that the other systems you have posted do not necessarily have the 650W PSU that was recommended by the other poster?

Thankyou for your suggestions on other system by the way. I will see how my final attempt to fix this issues pans out :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for your in depth reply.

The computer doesn’t show any error messages at all. Just a quick tear of the screen and then a plain light blue coloured screen.

There has never been a time that this wouldn’t happen whilst using the graphics card. The only thing that changes is the length of time it takes to freeze. I have never tried to over clock or under clock.

I can use the computer with no issues whatsoever if I unplug the graphics card and just use the integrated graphics.

Hm so it might be one of two things from what you are saying, it's either the Power Supply isn't capable enough (and maybe it's wearing out slowly) or the Video Card again but maybe try a PSU this time around first.

I am using Windows 10 pro if that helps with anything. Also, I have posted this on another forum and they have suggested that the PSU may not be powerful enough to support my system? Would you agree with this? I have noticed that the other systems you have posted do not necessarily have the 650W PSU that was recommended by the other poster?

Just helps confirm you have Windows 10. I wasn't sure which version you had so I wonder why the motherboard has so much issues with the LAN driver. Hm... And you tried many other attempts already... I am stump there frankly since I recall the BIOS and Windows update attempts. I know this is a crazy thought and yes I had to do this twice with Windows 10 myself when something refused to work and you can imagine to the manual download attempts did not solve it either. Have you tried doing a clean reinstall to Windows 10? Then having the latest drivers for your motherboard could function properly again.

However, side question: Does the WiFi work? Or is that having problems as well? I know it's not Ethernet consistent speeds but hopefully the WiFi works? I normally try to uninstall and reinstall drivers manually if possible. I know Microsoft has a tendency to go haywire when it tries to help download a lot of updates and drivers at once unless it was triggered only for Microsoft updates then it shouldn't have interfered.

If you are able to test with another PSU, or purchase a 550w PSU. A 650w is overkill for an R9 380X (and this varies per type of GPU but an R9 380X needs at least two PCIE 6-pin connectors). Unless you intend to have a RX 580 or a GTX 1070/Ti, GTX 1080/TI then a 650w would certainly be required. I would suggest Corsair's CX 550w (2017) or EVGA's BR 600w for a tight budget.

Another couple of options if want a quality Semi-Modular then Seasonic's FOCUS Gold 550w. The other is a Full-Modular called EVGA's SuperNOVA G2 550w though EVGA's SuperNOVA G3 is the more recent model and would recommend it more but it's pricey for what I see here. You of course are more then welcome to get a 650w version regardless and this offers you any power hungry video card to be able to run power (along with a quad-core upgrade too).

Thankyou for your suggestions on other system by the way. I will see how my final attempt to fix this issues pans out :)

It's no problem. We just want to help out anyway we can. We are all in this together, computer builders and tinkers alike.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube