add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Untouchable Computer" Constantly Powers Itself Off

jakeSpot
  • 13 months ago

I can't edit the slightly misleading title after this was posted, sorry :(

Pertaining Computer

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yZ2DfH

Built 2-3 months ago, no initial issues

Problem

I moved this computer to my house in order to solve an unrelated software issue. To move it back, I and turned the PSU to its off / "0" position. I strapped it down for a 15 minute car ride back to where the computer usually is kept.

There, I made sure all cables were plugged in, but the computer just wouldn't power on again when I pressed the power button. The accent lights on the motherboard seemed to turn on for only 1 second when I plugged in a USB device. After about 5 attempts, the computer would power on normally, but unplugging any USB device/HDMI etc would cause it to suddenly turn off again.

The computer still takes multiple attempts on different power outlets to turn on, but I'm quite sure its not a problem with the outlets (the monitor and other electronics work fine). The 'finnicky USB' problem still happens occasionally.

Any ideas?

Side Notes

I bought the motherboard used, could it be because the CMOS is dead? PSU is brand new

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

First step, install all the chipset and motherboard drivers & update the bios if you can do it without using USB.

After that take out all the internal cables and reseat them, reset the cmos, replace the motherboard battery.

Is it happening on the motherboard usb spots, or the case spots? You might have a short in a cable if it's the case.

Next step is remove and reseat the motherboard, check you've got all the standoffs in the right places.

After that who knows. If it's just the case slots I'd replace the case or remove the usb plugs one by one and see if it's one specific plugs. If it's the board replace it under warranty.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! :)

Yes; to clarify, this was with the USB ports on the back panel of the motherboard itself. I'll definitely replace the CMOS battery.

Since it's a used board I'm kinda suspecting a mobo problem as well.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

How many ports do you know it will fail in?

Honestly I suspect it's just a dud board that someone has offloaded used to make a cheap buck.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer isn't in front of me right now, and I can't recall from memory. I think I'll replace it if all the solutions above don't work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube