add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

old psu - basic dummy questions

gcha8e
  • 73 months ago

I have an old office machine I'm converting to a low end game rig for a kid.

It has a 300 W rated PSU, with a couple of 12 V rails spec'd on the sicker. There are three. A "12V" and a 12V1 and 12V2.
I'm considering a graphics card that recommends 300 W and 18A on the +12V and none of the ratings of the +12V's = 18 A by themselves.

They aren't really grouped together on the sticker in a way that makes sense to me, so my basic question is - can I add the ratings of all the 12's together to satisfy the 18A requirment?

And I just don't know how to tell what I'm looking at is a single or a multiple +12V rail config. (I could take a picture if needed).

*if i have multiple, which it appears to have, then how does the PSU know which connector is which, does it "intelligently" route the lower amps through or trace to the lower amp device on the connectors?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

If you see total watts under the +12 rails (combined) then you take that value and divide it by 12. That would give you the amps.

Example: 260W / 12 = 21.67A

If you don't see a total watts for the +12 rails then you can make an estimate guess since you know you can't just add all the amps from the +12 rails to get the total amps.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

thx.

I probably will not get a new PSU at this point, I'm just shooting for DIRT cheap

As in the parts I will buy are: 1) PC 6400 DDR2 (2x1 GB) [$16] 2) EVGA GeForce 210 (w/fan) [$34] only if it will not burn up the PSU. 3) A monitor for less than $50 4) free junk used mouse and keyboard

The old beast tower has a 3.5 floppy drive. The goal is simply to use what is there to it's max.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

That old PSU should be fine for a low power build like this.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube