add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1 additional EPS power connector is needed

alexagran
  • 13 months ago

Judging by the forums and other searches, it seems as though I'd need a second CPU power cord for this build. If that's correct, any idea on how I can get one that's as long as the one that comes with the power supply? Anything I see on Amazon/Newegg is 8-12 inches, none of which will reach from power supply to the CPU2 on the motherboard.

I'll add that a friend had helped me pick these parts with a different MSI motherboard, which is out of stock till January, and which I didn't realize till I had purchased all the other parts. So I switched to another MSI motherboard, and received the warning.

Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/alexagran/saved/Hdb9Jx

Thank you for any assistance!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The extra EPS connector is needed if you are doing extra power hungry things, you either get a different PSU, or just use one (and limit OC’ing or enuthug else that increases the chois power draw)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically, don't worry about it. A single 8-pin EPS connector is supposed to be able to deliver something like 250 watts (I forget the exact number), and no 2600(X) is going to draw that even short term. The additional CPU power connector on the motherboard is there for the high draw CPU's like the 2700X, which just might, maybe(*), manage 250w for subsecond bursts, but really for future CPU's that might need more power.

(*) but probably not.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube