• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

gorkti200 3 months ago

People of PCPP, I want to hear your reasons. Legitimately and honestly, tell me why you are supporting Donald Trump.

This might sound like an invitation for invective, but I don't plan to respond to anyone's reasons (I'm not going to respond to anyone at all, probably, unless they ask me to). I just want to hear the reasons from the supporters. For once, I'm not here to argue with you over it, lol.

If you used to support him, but no longer do, that is of interest too. What was it then, and what happened?

If you never supported him and just want to reiterate that point, this isn't the thread for you. Re: the title.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 15 points 3 months ago

This thread is going to go well.

gorkti200 submitter 3 Builds 5 points 3 months ago

It has, actually. It has gone really well.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

I agree. Seems quite civil with many rational viewpoints.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

grabs popcorn

ZedSamCat 1 point 3 months ago

i do that when people fight on social media

Hobie12345 11 points 3 months ago

As Haze159 says, I support him because he is the President of the United States.

I voted for him because he proposed many of the things I believe in: stronger border security, smaller government/bureaucracy, a more level playing field for international trade. I also disagreed with most of the things proposed by Hillary Clinton and trust her even less than I trusted her husband.

I do wish that someone would take away his twitter account because his tweets make him sound childish.

Haze159 1 Build 6 points 3 months ago

I don't like him, but I'll support him because he is our president. Not much more to it for me. I usually try to stay away from politics because I'd rather not argue with people because they don't like my opinion.

M0RKILLZ.twitch 5 points 3 months ago

TBH, I don't really like him. There are better people out there, but out of the general cesspool of candidates this past election, he was the 'least bad'.

Captaincow285 5 points 3 months ago

I originally supported him for two reasons.

1. The memes. As a big event in high school, it's obviously a thing to support Trump.

2. I read his "book" (I believe "Crippled America" was the title). In the book, he had an extremely compelling plan for policies he would put in place when he became President. I especially liked his improvement of infrastructure plan. Later, I realized it was near propaganda.

Obviously, I do not support him anymore.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

May I ask why "obviously?"

Captaincow285 2 points 3 months ago

I meant by my wordage in my answer ("originally", "near propaganda", "thing", etc).

In addition, my history on this site about half a year ago is full of misguided liberal propaganda (I now like to consider myself a centrist possibly even leaning conservative).

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Okay, in that context I get it. Perfectly understandable concerns and points of view. I see myself as a conservative libertarian.

Bran_Flakes 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Are you of the "Taxation is theft" variety of Libertarians? That may or may not be where I found myself at ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Not quite. More of the: the government is terrible and innefficient at almost everything they do, so they shouldn't do anything they don't absolutley have to. Lol

Ηydr.a 2 points 2 months ago

you dropped this: \

JRPG_Guy 5 points 2 months ago
  1. Wants reduce/end illegal immigration
  2. Wants peace with Russia and NK
  3. Lower taxes (Although that means more deficit spending)
  4. Challenged China's unfair trade policies which seemed to work. They pledged to close the trade deficit by 2024 by buying more American goods
  5. Puts the country first (Thus MAGA)

Now I'm not saying I'm a fan of his but some there are some things I can praise about him. But likewise there are some things I hate.

YoungTechnician 1 point 2 months ago

I mean, I agree but also disagree with all of those except #5, which I disagree with. I do agree that he wants to reduce/end illegal immigration, but at what cost? Taking away money for helping natural disaster victims to build a wall, even when the majority of illegal immigrants come through plane? Nu-uh, doesn't make sense. I completely disagree with him putting the country first. He has taunted North Korea on Twitter, and calling Kim Jong Un Short and fat. On twitter, he taunted Kim that he had more powerful and better missiles than Kim did, thus possibly aggravating him and putting the country in danger.

JRPG_Guy 1 point 2 months ago

I mean he acknowledges the problem of illegal immigration at least. And I dont believe for a second that Kim wants to attack. He might be crazy but not that crazy.

That is true, but I wouldn't want to provoke anyone who can start a war :l

JRPG_Guy 1 point 2 months ago

Agreed

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Taking away money for helping natural disaster victims to build a wall, even when the majority of illegal immigrants come through plane?

Do you mean visa overstays? Because that's a pretty deceptive way to phrase it. Visa overstays are a problem, sure, but a separate one. One that also needs to be addressed.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 4 points 3 months ago

Part of it is the majority of policy that has been implemented in the last two years , part of it's because he's my president and gets a bit of support for that, part is because he is a top notch troll, and part of it's because orange is my favorite color and big hands scare me.

Trump desperately needs to get off Twitter.

Also, build the wall...

PCPPAccountant 3 points 3 months ago

Same with Gork here, not responding to any replies on this. I side with him a lot on the business and tax reform he is introducing, however, I don't think he handles the public or international affairs as well as he could. He comes across very pig headed at times and I don't think the latest border wall stuff is very realistic, nor professional of a world leader. There has to be better ways. Plus from a money standpoint, I thought Mexico was supposedly going to pay for the wall??? Joking on this obviously, but this was a campaign promise everyone knew would not materialize. Now it is a stupid idea he is trying to fund with taxpayer money. So overall, I'm not really for or against him, he's just sort of there, just like every other president before that I've been alive to see. Life doesn't really change, for me at least, it just goes on as usual with the background banter of politics. I think it would be foolish to fully support any politician. If you agree with 50% of what they believe I think that is kinda how it should end up.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

As a conservative, I hate being even associated with the far right. Both the far left and far right are dangerous places, howver the far left generally has a little more sense as the far right tends to just be insane/hateful. I sure don’t support Hillary, but Trump is not really an great canadite in a lot of ways, mainly his previous issues and racist/sexist remarks. In fact, if we had a solid democrat in the election, offering to overhaul the healthcare system while at the same time working to eliminate our national debt they would deefinitely have my vote over trump. Really, I’m just waiting for Marco Rubio to run in 2024. I just hope Trump steps down for 2020 (not going to happen but can hope anyway) so we can have a normal election instead of the mess of 2016

Bartholemew 1 point 2 months ago

The far left is just as bad as the far right.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Exactly. The 2016 election was not about picking the best,it was about picking the less bad.

gorkti200 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

People say that literally every election.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

Well this last election it was especially true.

Bran_Flakes 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

Until something in the political sphere changes, my days of supporting D's or R's are over. Most of my family are huge supporters of Trump, so it made last Christmas interesting. I never necessarily supported Trump but always lumped myself in with Conservative Republicans. It wasn't until I started looking into Libertarian candidates and platforms that I realized who it was that actually made sense.

Libertarian or something similar will likely be my voting path for the rest of my life.

Zeromus725 3 points 3 months ago

I’ll tell you what I like and dislike about him, but first...

You have to tell me what sparked the interest. Is this just a regular ol’ political topic or something else?

gorkti200 submitter 3 Builds 3 points 3 months ago

I am moderately invested in politics, more so than the average person. I also enjoy reasoning and debates. So I enjoy talking about it, even if sometimes it pisses me off. I've had a few different politically-inspired thread ideas kicking around in my head for weeks, but I haven't posted one in awhile. Sometimes I feel like I need to take my "foot off the gas" so to speak with my political threads in OT, let it cool off for a bit. This was the least contentious idea, and an interesting one, and one I could post quickly yesterday. It is not a regular ol' political topic or I would be in here debating everyone ;D

I wanted to create a space for people to just say their piece on why they think he is good/ok/bad, why they love/support/tolerate him, what he's doing well/ok/wrong. I was hoping to get some honest reactions and maybe unexpected(by me) reasons.

Zeromus725 3 points 3 months ago

Alrighty then, I’ll fulfill my end of the deal. :)

I guess I’ll start with a list of things I primarily care about in politics.

• National debt
  • Immigration
  • National security
  • Illegal abuse of drugs
  • Jobs/Employment
  • Nationalism
  • A role model as President

So, I’ll start with the things I do like. His tax cuts were pretty great. Not many people dislike this one. The growth of jobs in America and lowering of unemployment are also amazing.

This is pretty cool.

In terms of national security he seems to be doing pretty well. The efforts against ISIS seem to have been quite effective with much of the ISIS territory being reclaimed. I only hope that they make sure to finish the war. The threat from North Korea has also died down a lot. I’m glad that Trump has had negotiations that lead to results. Isn’t that something everybody appreciates?

In addition, I support him placing Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. Mr. Kavanaugh seems like a cool, honest guy. Nothing majorly wrong with him so I can’t complain.

The last main thing is his refusal to allow transgenders into the bathrooms and locker rooms of the gender they identify with. I really don’t understand how this could be thought of as an okay idea. There would be so many guys claiming to be transgender just to get in the girls locker rooms. Multiple of my friends told me they would do so if they could.

All that being said, there are a few of his actions that I’m not a fan of.

Most recently are the now-connected issues of the wall and the government shutdown. I’m not obsessed with the wall or anything, but I suppose a wall is better than no wall. It is also reasonable to say that it is great Trump is trying to keep his campaign promises. However, we’ve already heard of some minor problems arise because of the government shutdown and they’ll only keep coming as it goes on. We really can’t just leave the government on partial shutdown.

He isn’t fixing the national debt. This is a big problem and nobody seems to care. Why? It feels like a looming crisis to me.

I would assume that the wall would reduce the amount of illegal substances polluting our grand country, but I wish he would do more.

I’m a proud American. The only one in my school who wears an American flag pin everyday. However, I don’t feel that the supposed best and wisest man in the country is someone I can model myself after. Maybe the stories of our forefathers have just lifted my standards too high. IDK

I like Trump because he has worked on many productive, beneficial goals. He was a promising candidate that a lot of people can and did get behind. I even got one of these. Though, I am hoping to get one of those for every president that is inaugurated in my lifetime so that’s not really saying much.

Gork, might I ask what you like and dislike about Trump?

gorkti200 submitter 3 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

Gork, might I ask what you like and dislike about Trump?

That will no doubt be covered in the body of my next thread. =)

Zeromus725 1 point 3 months ago

I see you’re building anticipation! I can respect that. :)

.....A thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!

Nationalism

This isn't really something that can be seen as purely good or purely bad. It can destroy nations just the same as it can save them.

You have qualms about Nationalism? I truly fail to realize the terrors it poses.

What negative could exceed the honor of loyalty, pride, and unity aimed towards and within one’s own nation?

Godzlegend1 4 points 2 months ago

What negative could exceed the honor of loyalty, pride, and unity aimed towards and within one’s own nation?

Nothing's wrong with that! But nationalism goes beyond that, it's no longer simply being prideful and loyal to your nation, nationalism is the propagation of ideals that directly conflict with unity amongst nations. It's specifically loyalty and support that excludes other nations in support/aid and policy. There's a reason the free world went to war with those ideals, and it's because in order to progress past our innate tribalism we must all work together.

I suppose you would have to ask the participants of WWI.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 3 points 3 months ago

I don't like him. I don't hate him. 2020 will be the first time I am eligible to vote. If he is the better of 2 crappy candidates and those are really my only options then I will vote for him. But if I have good options my support for him then will be nonexistant.

I do want him to make this country better. I can't stand all these people that want to see him fail. If he fails as a President, then that is a really bad thing for everyone.

If the option exists and is viable than I will likely vote Libertarian in 2020.

Zeromus725 2 points 3 months ago

“2020 will be the first time I am eligible to vote.”

(crunches the numbers)

Nullarc77, did you just... legitimately beat me at something?

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

I don't know. Maybe. To be fair if I had been born 11 days after I was I woukd not be eligible to vote in 2020.

So close, yet so far. Like when I got a 99 in math.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

You forget a decimal point?

I forgot how to reverse the quadratic equation with nonreal numbers.

VapidDarkness 1 point 3 months ago

I'll be able to actually vote in 2020 also. Can't wait!

ZFGeek 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

I support him, but that DOESN'T mean I agree with everythi ng he does or says. I think that when he is speaking and when he is on social media, he doesn't really watch his mouth, so he sometimes makes himself sound like a butthead. I agree with what he tries to do, however. I strongly agree that the only way to fix our debts is to bring companies back, and to pass laws that make them want to stay. I also agree that our border security is way too loose, and we have too many immigrants feeding off of our government without being legal. A lot of people fail to understand that the whole Wall project does not put a wall along the entire border, only main sections of it. The other sections are only going to have renewed and improved fortification. People will still be able to immigrate to this country, they just have to do it legally. I do thibk that the Mexicans sgould help fund it, but that is a totally different discussion. Overall, what Trump is trying to do is a good thing, and I mostly support him. I would vote for him if I could, but I am not currently legal age, so I can't.

If you were legal age, do you think you would vote for the democrat in 2020, if he/she proposed more, had ways to do it, cared about ego less, and had more control of their actions?

ZFGeek 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Maybe, but until that happens I don’t know if I believe that would happen.

yeah

Rhyagelle 3 points 3 months ago

I'm surprised that this thread was created but far more surprised that supporters posted and were not attacked. You people seem great so far. Anyhow!

I originally supported another candidate entirely and disliked Trump simply because I didn't think a man like him could properly run a country, but I switched sides a lot later and ended up voting for him. I am in not ways aligned with either side though, I vote forever I think is appropriate for the job.

As for the man? I mean honestly I wish he'd not tweet 99.9% of what he does except for the important trade deal announcements or whatnot so I obviously do not support every single thing he says or does, but I support him as president. He has done a lot of what he said he would do--I mean, he's been superb for the economy--and he's trying his hardest to do the rest of what he promised such as the wall, despite the fight he's getting from the Democrats. He seems to genuinely care for the underdog and the wealth fare of the country, he doesn't want to be involved in the dirt of the world if he (we) does not have to be, he's always fought for the rights of the minority since the late '70s despite what the news shows and he speaks his mind, though sometimes I wish he'd learn not to. I also felt like he represented a voice other candidates refused to/ignored, aka, the poor.

There are things I don't agree with at all though, his views on the Keystone Pipeline, climate, coal etc but if there was a politician out there that I could 100% agree with I'd be very unnerved.

Ragingboar 3 points 2 months ago

I support him because he's not politician. I think he's needed right now to get America back on the right track. I agree with his polices, but not everything he says, however, he is the president so he deserves our respect.

Enrico411 2 points 3 months ago

Trump is a great president for economical (its booming!!) and personal financial reasons.

[comment deleted by staff]
Memo1010 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

I have a few reasons

1: a lot of people around me who I respect a lot support him, including but not limited to relatives (side note, probably the biggest Trump supporter I know was born in Mexico)

2: he has put 2 good conservative judges on the SCOTUS, although I do worry about were Kavanough (99% sure I spelled that right) stands on certain social issues. I don't like a lot of supreme court rulings, so I am glad to have people who think more like me on the court, if that makes sense. And as it stands I think the most powerful branch of the government is the judicial

3: the economy has done very well under his presidency, and I like all the tax cuts

4: I believe in strong border security, and so does he (still unsure what to make out of this shutdown though)

5: its probably not a very great reason, but he is really fun to watch. This honestly might be a bad thing, since you should be able to take your president seriously, but man its so fun to watch him speak sometimes (depends on the mood, like the other night in his presidential address he was very serious).

Ultimately I think he says a lot of crap but whatever he's doing is working, I will turn 18 in 2020 and I would say there's like a 90% chance I'm voting for Trump (only reason why I wouldn't is if the Mueller probe comes out with some solid evidence, which I think is unlikely, or if there is a really good democrat but that is unlikely because the direction that they are taking is the complete opposite of what I want)

Namnguyen 2 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

I don't like him but I like the memes of him.

EagleByte 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Because he's not Hillary. And now because of him, I may be able to join the Space Force when I graduate high school (no joke, I'm actually considering this if they finish it by 2021).

Adrew24 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

obligatory "grabs popcorn"

IamNotGoodWithUsernames 2 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

follows comments

ZedSamCat 1 point 3 months ago

I suprised Gamehead didnt post this, his is on a political posting period

JCMsergox 4 Builds -3 points 3 months ago

I don't. He's a tool.

Grabs Popcorn

Zeromus725 6 points 3 months ago

“If you never supported him and just want to reiterate that point, this isn't the thread for you.“

By the way, where are you guys all grabbing popcorn from? Is it free? :)

Zeromus725 2 points 3 months ago

Thanks! This is actually a very useful link to be honest.

Root_User 3 points 3 months ago

Yeah, and it's not a pop-up.

(Corny wordplay.)

Why must you create these puns to abUSER me?

Keep it clean everytime.

Those thing are a pain in the *** to clean if the butter and salt accumulates.

TheShadowGuy 1 point 3 months ago

Or you don't clean them and they start to look like they might be the source of the zombie apocalypse.

Agreed greatly

Zeromus725 1 point 2 months ago

“ His fear based rhetoric about Muslims & Hispanics have done nothing but brought out the worst in people. I have TONS of people on my Facebook block list who were long time friends, several were friends I grew up with. Now we no longer speak simply because they fell for all this fear mongering”

Maybe I misunderstand: did you ditch life-long friends over politics?

“It peaked to it's pimple head boil and popped when a black man was elected President”

I don’t believe I “got” this statement either. May you please clarify?

Zeromus725 1 point 2 months ago

Many thanks!

“Now, we are at a point where if you don't vote REPUBLICAN, you simply hate America.. WTF is that all about?”

These sorts of illogical, baseless insults bother me as well. It’s all tribalism and prejudice, but I do not know any real solutions to the problem.