add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think I broke it...

Lee79

13 months ago

I was trying to lower my cpu voltage after overclocking and now I can't boot. I either get a "failed to repair" message or "invalid boot drive" (these are not the exact messages but if you've seen them you know what I mean)

1) I have already reset cmos and still the same thing 2) Unplugged my storage HDD and/or changed boot priority in bios

It should be noted that bios does recognize my m.2 drive. I have tried the repair and rollback options as well.

I know this isn't much info, but ask away and i'll do my best to answer.

OC Frequency: 3800 Voltage before I lowered it: 1.3875 - made it through about an hour stress test

Voltage after: 1.375

Here is my set up:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI - Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Sorry I can't figure out how to properly post a parts list :)

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The early ryzen chips aren't really meatn to be overclocked. I would set the voltage back right, reset the frequency, do a hard wipe and windows reinstall.

• 13 months ago
  • -1 points

Your mobo is not an OC'ing motherboard. Since you post and can boot into bios, that means your mobo is fine, but for overclocking you want a X470 or the AM3 equivalent.

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

B350 motherboards are fine when overclocking. Early Ryzen chips also can take overclocks like a champ...

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, but they are not made for it. Overclocking a CPU, than undervolting is not a good idea.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

"Invalid boot drive" Could also be an issue with the SATA port, I've had that happen before. Swap SATA ports and/or cables.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately my OS is on a M.2 drive and I only have one port for that :(

Oddly enough though, it is behaving similarly to an instance i had with a bad sata cable once upon a time.

Thanks for the response.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you mess with the base clock while overclocking?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I did.

I started at 4.0 ghz @ 1.4 v with no luck.

I began decreasing my clock until the system would boot. I ended up at 3.8 ghz.

Then I began bringing the voltage back down and running stress tests.

It settled in nicely at 3.8 ghz @ 1.3875 v and everything was fine.

I was fine with this voltage and clock, but for some reason cpu-z was showing voltage hovering around 1.41. I knew I wanted less than 1.4 for long term use so I tried lowering the voltage more.

When I stepped my voltage down 1.375 and reset, it would no longer boot.

Pulled the cmos batt and reset everything to defaults, still nothing.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Update:

I have reinstalled windows on another drive and am back up and running.

I can access my ssd and everything seems ok with the drive. I have no idea why it will not boot from that drive anymore.

My guess is something in the boot partition is corrupted - it may be completely unrelated to the overclocking, I will probably never know.

At least I didn't loose all my files, but dang I hate setting everything back up from scratch...

No Cortana! I don't need your @($&%%# help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube