add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Boots into BSOD

andy00mcf

13 months ago

Hello,

My friend gave me a slightly older computer that was apparently not posting, to fix up. I moved the RAM modules around (I also tested them on my personal computer and they work fine) and finally got it to post with 1 stick in the far slot. I had also bought a new HDD since obtaining this computer, but upon loading up my Windows 10 Installation USB made with Rufus, it started a BSOD cycle featuring error codes such as:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I played with the components a bit, removed the GPU and such to see if that was the issue (currently using the Motherboard GPU via DVI) but to no avail. I did some research based on the BSOD errors and found out that it could possibly be hardware related, RAM being the main cause, but as I have tested the RAM and it was working fine I assumed it was the Motherboard having a broken RAM slot.

I purchased a new Motherboard and it posts fine with normal BIOS temps and settings, but it still gives me the BSOD cycle upon Booting from my Windows USB. I have also formatted my installation USB and then used the CMD to make it a bootable drive just to rule out Rufus playing around. Could it possibly be the CPU?

Here are the specs:

i5 6600 CPU Asus H110M-K MOBO VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply

I apologize if I missed any other important information, please let me know what you need and I will retrieve it.

Thank you, Andrew

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Likely the motherboard, can you try to swap that? Have you ran memtest?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah brand new Motherboard that I picked up yesterday. I reckoned it was the old Motherboard causing the issues but the problem was consistent across both boards. I have also ran a memtest and it ran 2 passes with 0 errors. Completely at a loss at the moment. I even tried installing Windows 7, but it BSOD's at the same place upon loading the windows files.

Is there any chance the PSU could be throwing a fit?

Cheers

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it’s the CPU then. Just unlucky that’s the last thing you checked.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube