PCPartPicker

• Register

Can you make a PC upscale resolution to 4k like a ps4 pro does?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

powderedonutsale 2 months ago

I have a ps4 pro and a 4k TV and a lot of games upscale to 4k and look really good, is there any way to do this with a similar spec PC with a 4k display if I want to plug into my TV and play via PC? Or do I just have to use the native TV upscaling?

Comments Sorted by:

Nullarc77 3 Builds 3 points 2 months ago

In a lot of modern games you can set the resolution to native, then drop the render resolution to say 75%. So it will effectively render at around 1600p if I have my math right(Feel free to correct me). So that basically does the same thing as the PS4 Pro. It renders at a lower resolution than upscales to the native resolution. And it completely bypasses the tv's built in scaler.

Another option is in your GPU software settings you can create custom resolutions that the games render at. I don't know as much about this option. But basically if I understand it correctly(Again feel free to correct me here) it gives you an option in the games to play at that resolution then the GPU will upscale it to your screen.

EDIT:Looked into it and I am thinking of something else. So just ignore the above.

The PS4 pro from what I understand uses a mix of both techniques depending on the game.

And I am sure there is software you can use to do the upscaling. I just don't of any.

powderedonutsale submitter 1 point 2 months ago

I just read that DLSS is meant to do this? Is that correct? Would it be worth getting a 2060 for the upscaling to 4k? I can't really afford a more expensive card at this time.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

What GPU do you currently have?

Anyway I believe with DLSS it is actually the opposite. It renders something at a higher than native resolution than downscales them. Similar to SMAA but made to use the Tensor cores to affect franerates less.

Oh ok, I see, thanks. Right now my only working computer has a 4650 mobile so I haven't even tried to hook it up to my TV. I'm building a new one February 3rd.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Well then the RTX 2060 may be a decent option. But that GPU can already run nost games at 4k 60fos. Just like the 1070, 1070ti, and Vega 56 which are all around the same price point.

Oh good, I'll definitely get it then. I'm already used to console running at 30fps or however low it goes in 4k so that will be a nice upgrade.

firedrakes 1 Build 3 points 2 months ago

it Basically fake 4k. seeing normal 4k definition is everything is using same assets. if you dont then it up scaling. the problem when talking about this. is the mangle definitions that are used in correctly. why i say this is 4k,8k assets are massive. multi tb lvl