add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 freezing up when launching games on any non OS drive

chabotaguy
  • 13 months ago

Exactly as the title states, my pc keeps locking up when launching games on any drive apart from the ssd my OS is installed on.

Specs: Pny Gtx 1080 I7 4790k Asus z97p Gskill ripjaw 16gb ddr3

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd check the files on the drive itself, while also making sure you can access the drive itself. If everything looks good there, I'd verify the game files (steam has a great built-in system for this) and make sure there's no errors. If this still doesn't help, I'd try to check the compatibility settings on each of the games. Not sure why, but I've had issues in the past where the compatibility setting was set differently by default.

Software aside, I'd check the SATA cables between the drives to the motherboard. While you're there, it wouldn't hurt to check the power cables from the PSU to make sure they're seated properly. I doubt either of these would be the issue, but it never hurts to be sure.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have already tried all of the above and none of which have proved to be the problem, but thanks for trying to help.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I read your troubleshooting below and it sounds like the OS or registry may be corrupt. Best bet would be a clean windows install. Windows 10 should have a factory reset function in there already, or if you have a USB/disk boot you can use, those should work too.

I encountered a similar issue a few months ago and did a factory reset for Win10, and it's been going smooth so far. Give that a try, and good luck!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks ill give it a try!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe some power sever settings turn down the drive after a while? Maybe the drive (game drive, not the OS drive) is faulty. How many other (non-OS) drives have you? How many of these has games and cause your PC to "lock up"?

What is "lock up"? Crash? Freeze? Can you access Windows / Task Manager or do anything?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 1 ssd on which my OS is installed, and 2 hdds. My windows 10 has locked up after launching games from both of the hdds. So when I launch a game, it usually first just stops responding immediately, and then windows 10 itself stops responding. I can move my mouse around but clicking stuff does nothing, and key combination shortcuts such as ctrl alt delete do absolutely nothing. I have also checked the power saver settings and have rooted that out as the problem. My drivers are all up to date as well. I have also done file checks on the hard drives and just completely formatted them to no avail. Since this post i have also installed a new m.2 ssd and games also will not run off of that. I'm thinking clean windows install at this point, but I am not sure.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. This sounds rather fishy. I'd go for a clean Windows Installation too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube