add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with machine that will not even POST

mwill416

13 months ago

I built this PC like 3 years ago and it has been working fine until I did a Windows 10 update. Now I do not even get to the splash screen for the MB. I have tried all the trouble shooting tips I found on-line. My parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mwill416/saved/#view=BYvfHx.

I had tested everything I could by removing and reinstalling items (memory, hard drives, removed GPU and tried to video outs on mother board, all the same result. Mother board lights up - fans are going but no input to screen. I tore it all apart and rebuilt it again thinking maybe I had some frayed wire or lose connection but no good.

I bought a HDE power supply tester and POST card off amazon.

Tested PSU. First time I plugged in the 24 pin it lit up all voltage lights then all go dark except the -5v. None of the other connections responded either so I am thinking - great its the PSU gone bad. I shut it all down went to work came back over lunch and tried again. The PSU test good with the tester multiple times. user error the first time??? not sure. So I reassembled the PC up to everything but my Graphics card. Plugged in the POST tester in one of the PCI slots. Turn it on and it shows all the power diodes lit. But the numeric readout is just dashes which I believe means it never entered POST. No beeps at all.

I moved the card to another PCI slot, restarted the machine and it didn't light up at all. Moved back to the original PCI and it didn't light up there either.

starting to doubt my Karma here....

any help greatly appreciated

Marie

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

This sounds like either a PSU issue or a motherboard issue. PSU testers can be hit and miss as to whether the readings are correct. I have not used a POST tester so I can't help you there. I would try to borrow a PSU from another PC or a friend and try with that. If that doesn't work then try a different board. Let me know what you find.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube