add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

worth upgrading cpu?

tech_geek100

6 months ago

I have an i3-6100 paired with a gtx 1060 3gb, there isn't any bottleneck. but i would like the performance boost to a i5-7600. is this worth it?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Most bottlenecks are user based, either they are unsatisfied with the CPU performance, want higher resolution/quality settings, or are chasing higher frame rates which effects both CPU and GPU in different ways.

But if you are satisfied with the current performance you are only spending money when you are already satisfied and gaining placebo performance.

If you need higher performance then the CPU is the place to start.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading from a i3 to a i5. It would probably be best to at least go to an i7-7700 non k. Yeah, I know its expensive but you can find some off ebay second hand for $220ish.

Sell your i3 for around $85+/- and buy a i7-7700 for $220+/-. Basically a new cpu for $135 and a huge jump in performance vs motherboard and CPU upgrade.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

Trouble with some Kabylake chips is they are creeping up in price, discontinued. 2nd hand market for a decent price although YMMV. I personally would keep what you have and upgrade to an entirely new chipset when funding and/or circumstances call for it. Nothing wrong with the set up, some games may not quite hit that magical 60fps at 1080p but you can make do.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, thanks for the advice!

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

If you are happy with your current CPU then don't upgrade it as it not worth to upgrade from I3 to I5. I would suggest you to upgrade with i7 if you want to make your build future proof.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube