add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 auto update/restart - how to stop it

MichelWeber
  • 16 months ago

I have some apps running 24/7. Whenever Windows wants, it will update and restart, and then my apps need to be manually restarted.

Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting without my consent? I checked the settings and can't find anything other than a time window to allow it to restart - i.e. when I'm not using it, but I'm using it all the time.

Another option is to set up the apps to start up via a service - but I prefer not to go that route mainly because I think it is a difficult task.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Settings - Updates & Security - Change Choose How Updates Are Installed for automatic to scheduled restart,

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks - I'll take a look next time I'm at the machine.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

That isn't an option I see listed.

I do see:

Check for updates

Change active hours

View update history

Advanced Options

In Advanced Options I have "We'll show a reminder when we're going to restart. If you want to see more notifications about restarting, turn this on." - set to On

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, Microsoft just ended allowing users to stop updates without using Windows Enterprise or Pro. They will force updates to restart within a few days of release.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like they removed that feature from windows 10 Pro as well.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Just noticed that that option is gone for me as well. Sorry.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Wonderful. Well, I can either monitor it daily (then what's the point of automation???) or set up a way to have a service start up the applications when it reboots.

Thanks for the assistance.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a good idea. I can always turn the service back on once a month or whatever and restart the apps after reboot while I'm attending the computer.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You can prevent updates from being installed automatically by marking your internet connection as a metered connection (at least WiFi, I haven't checked for the option on ethernet). This may have other side effects though.

Windows will still nag you about important updates needing to be installed, but it won't automatically download them, which means they won't be automatically installed and no automatic restarts (or at least not that I've seen in the past month since I set my wifi to metered). I'm a little concerned that MS will eventually force an update, since they obviously don't care about us not wanting them, but it at least hasn't happened yet.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

That is definitely worth trying. I'll need to take a look at my next visit on that computer.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I stopped the service - I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube