add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone has experience with data plans overseas?

nostalgia2302

12 months ago

Mobile plans in Canada are quite expensive for what you get, and “unlimited” data plans like in the US basically don’t exist.

All carriers in the US have unlimited data plans that also extend over Canada and Mexico. For example, when I had my AT&T plan and travelled to Canada, it switched to Canada’s Rogers network but I was still using my US number.

I have a question: according to these plans, I can make calls, text and use data at no extra cost. What about people in Canada or Mexico, thought?

If a person in Canada made a call or sent a SMS to my US number WHILE I was in Canada, would they be charged? Because even thought I’m connected to a Canadian network, they are still dialing/texting an international number.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Sender almost always pays the fee in their state, wherever they are. Receiving texts are free regardless of the country or plan you have.

For the most part, these unlimited plans work for amounts of days or countries you travel, essentially getting credit passes for certain countries that you go into. For example, on Verizon's best unlimited plan, you have 10 credits (IIRC) which can be used with unlimited data for traveling to 10 different countries per month. If you have a question it's best to ask your provider, but for the most part you should be fine

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

mmmm...just as I guessed, then.

Having these international plans seems almost useless if Mexicans and Canadians have to pay to call/text you. It's only useful if you're a business owner and constantly receive calls from the US, to your US number, while you're abroad.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube