PCPartPicker

• Register

Purchased windows and installed it used the key but a water mark saying "activate windows" came up 5 hrs after using my code

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

happymatt1111 2 months ago

The pc i built was http://prntscr.com/m8bnv1, not running a gpu at the moment because it was not working. I purchased windows from [STAFF REMOVED] Because i saw techsource talk about in this vid [STAFF REMOVED] Also in the video he has to choose what windows he has, i didnt get that option on mine which may be why but im not sure.

Comments Sorted by:

Godzlegend1 6 points 2 months ago

Well... I can't comment on your specific experience.

Keys sourced from resellers such as G2A or Kinguin violate Microsofts ToS, they're fraudulent keys and can be revoked at anytime if MS detects such activity.

It's entirely possible that your key was deactivated by MS. Though I don't know your specific situation.

It's unfortunate that tech youtubers talk about key resellers like this when they know the risks involved and obviously didn't bother to tell their audience.

For future reference, any key purchased from those sites, be it games, DLC, software codes whatever, is unable to be verified as a legitimate code. They could be purchased from stolen credit cards, purchased from nations that sell software at a lower rate and sold for profit or in the case of windows keys, they could be bulk volume license keys which are used in business environments but then bought/stolen and resold on such websites.

Does this mean the codes are fake? No, they could work and work perfectly perhaps indefinitely but the reality is, unlike an official reseller of software, there's no possible way for you to know the source of such keys, it's an open marketplace for others to sell software. Some keys could be sourced legit, others are not.

It's a personal question if you're okay with it or not, but it's beneficial to know the risk. Though I can't imagine a business actively promoting such a thing but I'm not surprised.

manirelli staff 8 Builds 5 points 2 months ago

Sale of software and keys from that site often violates the ToS or are resold licenses purchased via fraudulent credit card. Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying these keys as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

Time to buy your key from a legitimate retailer like newegg or amazon.

happymatt1111 submitter 1 point 2 months ago

OK sorry

[comment deleted by staff]
vagabond139 5 Builds 3 points 2 months ago

That is very likely because you brought from a shady 3rd party seller.

Eltech 20 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

That's right. I purchased many times from Amazon. Directly the seller of Amazon dot com these days. I used to purchase from third-party sellers but that was 2017 and before than. Too many third-party sellers that I seen were a bunch of unknowns base on their profile history and sometimes find seller reviews saying an unusable product key, hence why the avoidance. And I also purchased from Newegg a few times as well. I had no issues to report with Windows 8 and Windows 10 Product Keys when purchasing from Amazon or Newegg. So far all the product keys remain active. Just need to be aware of who the seller is before purchasing.

icecreamman117 0 points 2 months ago

No, it was amazons choice and said it was by Microsoft.

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Amazon choice just means its popular and MS is just the manufacturer/developer. Why was it actually sold by? As far as I know MS doesn't sell anything on Amazon themselves.

icecreamman117 1 point 2 months ago

3 keys i got from them were allready used

vagabond139 5 Builds 4 points 2 months ago

Techsource sold his integrity for that video, plus the guy is a known mega *******/scumbag. That site and those like it are scams, you got a non legit key since it breaks the ToS which means the MS can deactivate it. It sounds like in this case it has been deactivated. I would do a chargeback and buy a legit key this time.

Granddy 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Someone bit the dust for using a 3rd party key reseller

eesti 2 points 1 month ago

Buy directly from Microsoft next time

[comment deleted by staff]