add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mis matched ram sizes (in sets) question

Braunson

13 months ago

I just built a PC, not recognized I should have installed more RAM :p

I currently have installed CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) and I'm looking to install the same brand/model/specs but instead of 8GB I'm looking at 2x 16GB. Will this cause an issues or is this frowned upon? The 2x 8GB area on the same channel, and the 2x 16GB will be on their own channel as well.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What CPU and motherboard? Mixing RAM sizes generally should work, but you might see speed drop to a minimum such as 2133 MT/s. Or not. You might have a slightly better chance of success with an Intel CPU as opposed to Ryzen.

It's almost impossible to guarantee anything at all with RAM when you step away from using matched sets. It's supposed to work, but there's always the exception and you won't know until you try it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU: Intel i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It will work if the memory plays nice together, their no 100% answer.

Could take some tweaking of timings, speed, and/or voltage it also might be plug and play or just not work together.

This would be the same answer if you were adding anouther 2X8gb set of what you already have. Memory is sold in a matched set test to work together but people add more all the time.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Feel free to disregard this if the answer is not one you wish to share, but I admit I'm very curious: what applications are you running that require 48GB of RAM?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem at all. Running Chrome, VS Code, Powershell, DisplayFusion, Slack (App), GitHub Desktop, Vagrant/VirtualBox running and it seems to run out of memory depending on # of tabs open, etc. I should have purchased 2x 16gb sticks when I built the PC a few weeks ago and am kicking myself now.

I know Chrome is a memory slob, so is Electron which is the platform VS Code and Slack are built upon so it's just a mix of memory hungry apps I'm running at the same time.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! That's one heckuva a workload! 48GB will be one major upgrade :)

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

If your curious, this is the build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RWRb6s

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Very cool!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube