• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

The_mrpickle 2 months ago

Is 8gb still okay for gaming? I have heard that windows uses up to 4 Gbs of RAM. Could I get by with 8Gbs for a little while and then upgrade soon or should i wait until i have more money and get 16Gbs. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Comments Sorted by:

ReverseFlash 2 points 2 months ago

Ive had 3 friends with 8gb of ram that say its annoying and there upgrading to 16gb so I would get two 8gb sticks cuz dual channel does good with ryzen

The_mrpickle submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Okay thank you! I will definitely get 16gbs

ZFGeek 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

I have been using 8gb for 2 years now, and I've played games like Elite Dangerous and Warframe with no issues. My Windows 8.1 never uses more than 2.5 to 3 gb of ram, as long as you don't have a bunch of stuff running in the background.

thunder-93 2 points 2 months ago

depends on the games you play ... what games do you plan to play on your new rig?

Mainly for right now CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege and that would be about it for right now

thunder-93 2 points 2 months ago

You can still game with 8GB of RAM. CSGO will have no problem.

And Rainbow Six Siege can work with as low as 6GB but recommends 8GB of system RAM. And I'd say Windows does use on/about 3GB of RAM for many folks.

That said, I typically do like to plan for a little extra RAM if the budget allows ... especially since Windows and various applications running in the background can consume system RAM ... and a little extra RAM could go a good ways to reduce the system's need to swap memory to a page file on the hard disk or SSD when RAM starts getting more full. BTW, if you're already using an SSD as a boot/OS drive, that can help mitigate some speed bottlenecking when using a page file since SSDs are significantly faster than hard drives.

So yes, you can start with 8GB RAM for now then add an additional 8GB later, if you like. So you could get 2x 4GB today and then buy another 2x 4GB later after saving up (or buy 2x 8GB and sell your 2x 4GB). Also for your consideration if you're on a tight budget ... if I had to choose between putting a little extra money towards RAM now vs putting that extra money towards a GPU now--I'd prioritize the GPU now and get more RAM later after saving up. The trade off in performance now will work in your favor. And looking at your parts list and the games you play, this would be my recommendation to you.

Hope this helps. What other questions do you have?

Thank you so much this helped a lot! If I just bought 2x4 right now, I can just buy a 2x4 set later? Does it have to be a certain brand or speed? Sorry I am new

thunder-93 3 points 2 months ago

Yes, you can buy a 2x4 GB now and then buy another 2x4 GB later and be fine. Preferable if they are the same brand, speed, and timings ... but not necessarily required. Mobo can adjust accordingly to standard speed settings. Usually for "overclocking" RAM, it would be better to keep exact same brand/speed etc to improve the chances of stable RAM "overclock", but this is not the case for your use case.

WIth an AMD builds, it is typically recommended to go with RAM that has been specifically designed/tested with AMD CPUs b/c of how AMD memory controllers work. Given that you want to game as your primary use, picking RAM that is reliable to compatible with your mobo (e.g. check the mobo compatibility list and RAM compatiblity list) is recommended--it just means you have an extra level of reassurance that the vendors have tested the RAM successfully on the motherboard.

Regarding speed, the best deals on DDR4-2400, 2666, 3000, or 3200 at the most are the speeds you should look for. Sometimes you can find sales on DDR-3200 ... but if I had to pick a preferred speed, DDR4-3000 is fine, as are DDR4-2666 and DDR4-2400. BTW, are you interested in RGB? Or a specific color? Those are asthetic preferences, and can help me to tailor some of the options your looking at and make some recommendations. Regarding brand, that would depend upon answers to some of the questions above--you have a lot of options.

Yeah RGB would be better but it doesn’t have to be I have found the team t force RGB look nice do they perform well and are there any other options?

GameNoobies 2 points 2 months ago

yes.

aaron2143 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

I have 8 Gbs (2x4) at 3000mhz and my games run fine. Insurgency Sandstorm, PUBG, etc at 1440p.

Here is the parts list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL - EVO SPEAR 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $47.98 @ Newegg
Storage Inland - 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $32.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $71.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $687.92
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $637.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-20 20:37 EST-0500
koojo 2 points 2 months ago

For $40 more you can get 16gb and faster speed youre ryzen will be happier and you won't have to mess with it later. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DHPzK8/team-vulcan-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tlgd416g3000hc16cdc01 Good luck Kit is $89 at time I posted.

Thank you!

koojo 1 point 2 months ago

Yw..