add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build, no boot

southernshred

13 months ago

Here is the part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/southernshred/saved/PQGCbv

Also included is a Seagate Baracuda 2TB.

I haven’t built a system in oh, 15 years so I’m hoping someone can give me a hand.

Case, RAM, Wraith and GPU lights all work, but power LED doesn’t come on, no BIOS beep, monitor doesn’t come out of standby, and mouse / keyboard don’t light up.

I’ve never had a GPU without it’s own output port before so I connected the monitor to the MB DisplayPort connector.

When I first hit power, I realized I had forgotten to connect the ATX so I rectified that but it yielded the same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Your GPU does have output ports ... it has 2 display ports and 2 HDMI. You'll need to plug the monitor into the GPU. (Note that your CPU does not have an integrated GPU so the mobo display port won't do anything.)

Also, I'm assuming you've plugged in the PSU into the 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin on the GPU?

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Couple more things to check:

1) Mobo power ... make sure the 24-pin and 8-pin EPS plugs are snug and secure.

2) Since your power LED won't come on, I recommend double checking your front panel connectors from the case to ensure they are plugged into the right system panel connector pins on the mobo. (see manual page 1-13). If the PWR_SW pin isn't right, then you won't be able to turn on the mobo.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

I’m almost too embarrassed to respond...

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't worry everyone makes mistakes.

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

no worries at all ... more importantly, are you up and running?

... trust me, on my last build, I was racking my brain why it wouldn't turn on ... took me way to long to figure out my power strip was turned off ;) happens to all of us when we're excited and tired

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

My first build, I was wondering why it would not power on, turns out i did not plug in the front panel connectors.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

ah ... glad you found it! i think this is actually the hardest part--I've got bad eyes and fat fingers ... not a good combo trying to put those darn connectors on in tight space ;)

So are you up and running!

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Well that was 6 build ago

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, my dumb was pretty evident but I'm into bios and trying to boot. I'm getting hung up on booting my Windows 10 USB.

For the record, apparently the GPU has these super-secret rubber covers hiding the input ports in plain sight...even the most experienced builder would have missed them LOL ;)

Also, I didn't have the 6 pin power connected to the GPU as you said.

I'm stuck on:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

The USB was formatted exFAT with MBR on a Macbook Pro, ISO mounted and files dragged to USB.

After I had this error, I set the CSM to UEFI and Legacy and then set the individual device types to UEFI but I'm getting the same error.

So...stuck here...do I need to create the USB with the Windows Media Creator on a PC or VM of Windows on my Mac or is this a config thing?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, got the USB to boot but it didn't find install.win but I think I know what that is.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I do think you need to create a new bootable Win10 install USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfnuE1unS8

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Haha! I know the feeling! I had two "problems" with my first build last month:

1. Didn't plug the 8-pin EPS power into the MB
  2. Didn't realise my 2700X didn't have GPU and plugged HDMI directly into my MB

I want to say "we should add an FAQ / sticky" for these, as they come up so frequently, but really the answer for me was "RTFM" since my MB manual clearly stated both! Building a PC for the first time is too exciting to let things like a user manual get in the way! ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube