add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC, won't POST

jcampanario

13 months ago

I'm a first time PC builder, and I am having an issue where the PC won't POST. This has been going on for two weeks, in which I've changed the motherboard, the psu (twice, one didn't supply enough power and the other was defective), and been to Best Buy twice to get consultations with their geek squad technicians. After numerous tests, they feel it's a bios issue, and I will need either a kit or to get a different motherboard. I'm also worried that perhaps there are other issues, and I was hoping someone could give suggestions/advice on how to proceed. Specifically, if I am to get a new motherboard what should I go with because I would prefer a board that will definitely POST given the other parts are functioning correctly.

Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w8Gn4q

Here is a video of the PC powered on without the graphics card in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W420gu_nMwE

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Since the RGB lights work, the system should be (at least partially) fine.

How's the monitor set up? For example:

• Try unplugging the graphics card and plug your monitor into the motherboard.
  • Plug in your graphics card and plug your monitor into the graphics card, NOT you motherboard.
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The monitor into the motherboard won't do anything because no integrated graphic, and the other solution did not work. Returned both GPU and CPU for new ones, hoping it solves my problems.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not a BIOS issue. You have a B450 motherboard which doesn't require a bios update for the Ryzen 5 2600. Try booting with one stick of RAM, and try both slots.

Also, this is a common solution when I build PCs: Reset the CMOS. There should be three pins called CLR_CMOS and a jumper on two pins. If the motherboard is upright, it should be the second and third pins. Move the jumper over to the first and second pins, wait for 15 seconds, then move it back to the second and third pins. Reboot.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried with one stick and such. I didn't try reseting CMOS, if it doesn't work later in the week, I'll try that. I have since posting, returned the GPU and CPU to get new ones, hoping one of those was the issue.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube