add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stuck at PSU installation on first build

mbh7

13 months ago

I've had success putting everything together so far, however I am stuck at the PSU. I have a Seasonic fully modular unit but I'm not sure what cables I need to go into the PSU to the motherboard or GPU. Does anyone have a handy guide or anything I could check out?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

which Seasonic PSU do you have? what GPU? what storage devices?

A basic "quick start" of cables you should be looking for and connecting are:

1) 1x 24-pin power cable from PSU to 24-pin connector on the motherboard/mobo

2) 1x 8-pin EPS power cable (or 2x 4-pin) from PSU to 8-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard/mobo (typically towards top-left corner)

3) For the GPU, it depends on the GPU ... some do not need any extra power, others need a 1x 6-pin PCI-e power connection from the PSU to the GPU, others 1x 8-pin, still others 1x 6-pin plus 1x 8-pin, and still others 2x 8-pin

4) For SATA storage devices (2.5" SSDs or 3.5" HDDs), you'll need SATA power connectors

Let me know your other system components and I'll try to provide some more specific guidance.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed with all of this.

If you provide a parts list the list could be better tailored to your needs.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your reply, I was able to figure it out. Turns out I was over thinking it, had everything I needed connected but it wouldn't turn on because a pin in my CPU bent :/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube