add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mad framerate drop

desacrate2013
  • 13 months ago

I've had no issues with any game I've played on default (high) setting all play at 130+ frames consistently. I've been playing shadow warrior 2 for the last 2 days without seeing anything below 145+ frames even in those crazy battles with so much going on while on default (high) setting. I was just playing 20 minutes ago and just loading into the map I was sitting at 100+ and while in a small scene battle dropped all the way down to 35 fps. I have not changed any settings or have anything in the running in the background.

Please help I have no clue how to troubleshoot it or fix it as this is my first build. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Jmjypg

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be thermal throttling, checking with a good hardware monitor like hwinfo will tell you that. Generally I assume this sort of thing is software; Winders decided to run an update test, or index the disk drive, or something else equally intrusive. It can be hard to pin that sort of thing down.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm gonna sound super noobish right now. But what is thermal throttling? And I will look into hwinfo. My temps are 66-69f for GPU and 56-60f CPU under heavy loads

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thermal throttling is when the CPU or GPU limits its usage so it can cool off. Your temps are fine. That's not the problem.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thermal throttling just means that the temps get high enough that the CPU or GPU clocks go way down, producing less heat. If you're around 60C (not F, that would be below room temperature!) loaded than it's not throttling.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah sorry celcius. Not farenheit :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I had this problem. Update your NVIDIA driver to the latest one. If you don't have it, get Geforce experience. It will help you optimize games and update your driver. It got me a lot better FPS afterwards.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Just went on and checked geforce experience and it says I'm up to date with the newest driver.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it constantly at 35 fps? If not, then you have nothing to worry about. You might have some background process going on, so press control + shift + esc to open task manager and see what's taking up your CPU, GPU, and Drive.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not a consistent 35 frame rates per second. It does volley up and down for a bit and return to 130+ and does so throughout playing the game. That would make sense too.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It is probably some process running in the background. Stop processes from apps that you've installed that don't affect your system.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay will do thanks for the help!!!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The latest nvidia driver has been reported to cause stutter i would suggest rolling back the driver to before the fps dropped.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I've had no problems with it at all.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The driver has problem with some configurations of hardware.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm... I'm running an old GTX 960 with no problems, but his config might have some problems.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube