add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help after finishing a first time build

Coros
  • 13 months ago

Hello!

I just finished my first build ever, which is nothing to boast about but it was a very exciting experience for me :). That said, Ive run into some issues now and I thought maybe someone smarter could help me out.

The PC specs are as follows - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zkJWTB

Hardware installation was smooth and went fine, the PC actually booted up the first time I pressed the power button so that's something. I followed it up by installing windows 10 pro from a bootable usb drive and after that things got a bit tricky.

The following is what I did, step by step:

1. Installed all the windows updates

2. Installed Intel chipset drivers from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PLUS#down-driver&Win10%2064

3. Followed that up from the same link with IRST drivers, Intel VGA, Intel Network drivers and Realtek HD Universal drivers

4. Installed Nvidia drivers for rtx2070

I there anything Im missing? Should I go ahead and find any other drivers?

The problems im currently facing are the following:

1. In BIOS dRAM frequency shows as 2400mhz, although I have 3200mhz ram. Is dRam something different? Should I do anything about this?

2. PC gets some serious lag spikes, to the point of freeezing for 10-30 seconds even when just idling or using an internet browser. This bit seems incredibly weird.

3. Internet connection, using Chrome, seems insanely slow (300 Mbit ethernet connection). Troubleshooting network adapters gives a message stating "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". Googled the issue and followed steps given but this hasn't fixed the issue. Am I missing something? Wrong driver issue?

All the help is greatly appreciated. Also, any additional help is appreciated regarding on what to do next with a fresh install, what msi software to install if any and any general tips on what i've missed when finishing the build helps out too.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

In BIOS dRAM frequency shows as 2400mhz, although I have 3200mhz ram. Is dRam something different? Should I do anything about this?

You will have to enable the 3200 XMP profile for the RAM in BIOS. Should work without issues then.

As far as your other issues, it could be drivers. You sort of over thought installing drivers. Really with Windows 10 it finds and installs the drivers its needs. The only exception is the Video Card drivers, which you should install. As long as everything is working right there is really no need to install other drivers.

I would do a fresh install of Windows, with the PC plugged into the network, and see if that fixes things. Also I would suggest getting a thumb drive and downloading the Microsoft Creation tool and crating a USB Windows Installer on the Thumb Drive. This gives you the most up to date windows versions and avoids having to install all the updates.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your response! If I would go with the route of doing a fresh windows install then how would I go about it? Is there a good guide into wiping everything and starting over?

And will internet actually work if Im doing a fresh windows install and I havent installed any network drivers?

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for your response! If I would go with the route of doing a fresh windows install then how would I go about it? Is there a good guide into wiping everything and starting over?

If you have the installation USB (the original or a new one you make) you should be able to select that as the first boot option in the bios. There may also be a key (sometimes F11) to select the boot device instead of going to the bios or Windows. From the Windows Installer you can delete the volumes on your drive and reformat it.

And will internet actually work if Im doing a fresh windows install and I havent installed any network drivers?

Yes, the Windows installer have some basic network drivers it uses. I find that Windows 10 does not do a good job setting up network configuration unless it is physically plugged into a network with internet access. Don't try and install with a WIFI connection even if that is what you are going to use later.

...oh and while you are doing the Windows install, keep the RAM at the stock 2400mhz. Windows sometimes does not like the XMP profiles during installations. Also disable the CPU overclock if you have one.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I reformated Windows using the latest Win10 via Microsoft Creation Tool and let it took care of drivers itself. For some reason, it still couldnt connect to internet during Windows installation (Even though ethernet was connected) but the option was skippable.

This seems to have fixed the majority of issues, however the "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" matter still persists. My unexperienced reasoning leads me to believe that I messed something up overthinking the initial driver installation process and a clean install solved things.

So thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome. I hope you get the network issue sorted out.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to use another computer to manually download my internet drivers since it wouldn't connect to my network. A real pain, and luckily I had another computer around.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I have to do the same when upon installing windows it couldnt connect to the internet. However, after windows installation was finished the ethernet connection seemed to be working.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube